Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 weeks ago

Should I ask around or tell someone about this?

Recently, a distant family member reached out to join us in the coming holidays for a family reunion. I didnt remember him until we facetimed last week. I now have a weird incomplete memory/recurring dream(since I saw him) of him and I in a room in some house.

He and another guy were showing me a "trick" where he put my sweater on backwards and tied the sleeves across and around my back (like a straight jacket) and tossed me on a huge bed and had to break out while he was tickling me. I remember struggling trying to get free and leave the room, and crying. I am pretty sure he put his hand and clothe or something over my mouth while I was trying to scream. I also remember that he touched me in a way that made me uncomfortable. I'm not sure exactly where tho, or that he did anything inappropriate. Like I said it's an incomplete memory. I think I must've been like 4 or 5y.o. I think he would have been in his late teens/early 20s at the time. I thought about trying to figure out about the house or where my parents would've been (bc I t remember either of them being there) but dont want to stir any drama over nothing.

I'm 17 now. A guy btw. To be clear, I'm not tryna accuse him of anything. Just loosing sleep over this memory or whatever and was wondering if I should tell anyone, ask around or leave it alone? It's possible I'm just overthinking innocent playing idk.

maybe you should ask around, some people might know what happened

Not enough information. Is this "distant family member" staying at your house or is he going to stay in a hotel room?  If you feel uncomfortable with this family member staying at your home, by all means, tell your parents.

Grow up and allow for people to change. After the gathering make a decision. Confront him one on one, or forgive him. Remember, you can't go forward if you're looking backward. Your life will improve.

Binding a small child in order to make him suffer is hardly innocent, even if there was no inappropriate touching. This isn't the type of story a young kid would likely make up, but it does sound like a typical adolescent prank. For some reason, there are those who think it's funny to humiliate or hurt other people, when in fact it is just cruel.

Don't try to push away this memory, which probably did cause bad dreams afterwards. Your subconscious kept it hidden until you were old enough to deal with it. That time is now.

If you confront the guy, he'll likely deny it, which will make you feel worse. Instead, for your own peace of mind, forgive him. That does NOT mean what he did was right, but only that you are not going to allow it to hurt you anymore, and are ready to move on.

• y

Could be anything, could be combining the last time you saw him, in a playful interactive way. Combining that with another event that happened in close proximity. Happens all the time, combining a negative with a positive in order to protect ourselves.