Colorado winter adventures, to do's?

Context/Background:

So my husband and I were supposed to go on a cruise to Mexico. That feel through and I'm VERY depressed about it because I've wanted to see the Mayan Ruins since childhood.

The Question:

BESIDES the obvious ski, tubing, zip line, hike, or fish... What is there to actually do in December? We can go any time between the 2nd to 19th. It can be inside, outside, or both.

NOT a requirement, but, is there cool things I can do with my dog if I bring her besides just dog parks?

• Foofa

Where I live winter is the best time for hikes in the Santa Monica Mountains, whale watching and a lot of the outdoor activities it's too hot to do during the summer. So maybe consider southern California for your holiday.

What, in your mind, makes something a "winter adventure," what are you prepared for, and what do you enjoy?  The mountain/winter activities are in the mountains.  Most ski resort towns have a variety of things to do including skiing/boarding, skating, tubbing, sleigh rides, cross-country skiing, and dog sledding.  Depending on the weather and your equipment, there are certainly hikes you can take. 

In Denver or the metro area there is the Kristkringle market, and both the Botanical Gardens and the Zoo have holiday light displays. The Brown Palace hotel has a very popular high tea. Larimer Squre is decorated and sometimes has strolling carolers and carriage rides. There are a lot of things that aren't necessarily wintery but might be interesting. You have a variety of museums - there are some special exhibits such as the science behind Pixar at the Nature and Science Museum and a Monet exhibit at the art museum. There's the Molly brown house and some other historical tours. Depending on the date, you could catch plays, musicals, etc. as well as either a basketball or hockey game. 

Dog are not allowed in National Parks, but there are a lot of walking trails and local parks where you can take him/her.  You also need to be aware weather conditions for the dog's safety.  Honestly, I would not bring a dog unless I was staying with family who would watch and care of him while I was off doing things.  A dog in a hotel or rental while you are off for hours puts a lot of stress on an animal.

There's a Kristkringle market starting downtown on Friday. The Downtown Aquarium and Wild Animal Sanctuary in Denver are good as are various museums and galleries. If the weather is good, there are lots of hiking trails in the mountains where you can take your dog.