Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 2 weeks ago

Going to a new dentist today because my former dentist dropped my plan. My anxiety about it is through the roof, do you feel the same?

My anxiety about seeing a new dentist is way too irrational to be normal. I'm trying to calm myself down. My concerns are if I will like him, how good he is (his online reviews

are good), will needed treatment be pain free, will he falsely tell me I have cavities just to make money, etc. Has anyone else suffered from high anxiety visiting a new dentist and what did you do about it, if anything?

• Tavy

I was terrified of the Dentist as a child as I had some bad experiences in the U.K., so at the age of 20 back in 1968 I went to work for one as a Dental Nurse. That cured me, once I knew what was going on it took away the fear.

Not suggesting you do the same, but you did ask.

UK.

• YKhan

Dentists are all pretty much the same, all of them know how to drill teeth equally well. I have been going to a single dentists' office for years now, and I've had 5 different dentists, as they change personnel within them quite regularly. So I've gotten used to having different dentists. No difference. You'll be frozen during any major procedures, or if that's still too much for you, then you can request to be put to sleep.

• y

If you need injections just for a cleaning, then you have other issues going on. They have gels that can temporary reduce sensitivities that are just as effective. You should also being one of those toothpastes that reduce sensitivities.

As far as anxiety goes, i have had full blown panic attacks in the barbers chair, as well as the dentist. I slipped into shock while they were doing my wisdom teeth and they had to stop and stabilize me. Telling the professional about your issues and how you like to be talked to, or not, helps.

2 weeks agoReport

I feel sorry you guys have to go through the anxiety, too.

I have horrible dental anxiety due to not being able to get numb so even just a cleaning sents my anxiety through the roof. So yes I feel the same.

2 weeks agoReport

I spoke to him on the phone and told him I need numbing injections for a cleaning and he said my plan won't pay for that, so I said I didn't care, I would pay out of pocket. No other dentist said that to me, they just gave me the shots.