Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 3 weeks ago

strange noise while building computer?

hey, just installed a new graphics card and realize my processor was a little outta place. i unplugged my computer and put it on its side and when i was working on it i heard a shock near where the power cord plugs into, i stopped everything and when i went to go back in, maybe 30 seconds in i heard another shocking sound. i don’t believe it was static electricity because it wasn’t near where i was touching. i booted up the pc and everything works fine and even better then before with the new card and all but in just curious if this could be bad. It works perfectly fine but did i just ruin something or lower a life span of a spec or computer or new GPU? i haven’t heard it since.

I'd agree, probably a capacitor.  They can hold a charge for a while after power is removed.

sounds like you accidentally discharged a capacitor. there are several in the power supply

Run some bench tests.

You should never apply pressure on the CPU to the socket.

• David

Stop worrying if the computer is running fine. Repeating the same question won’t change the answer.