filipejames2 asked in PetsDogs · 3 weeks ago

Why do you have a problem with people who buy dogs from breeders?

Like it’s not your money so back off

Problem? I encourage people to buy from byb

• Sky

Because (1) many millions of dogs are executed every year because they are homeless and nobody adopts them, instead going to breeders to buy another dog; (2) the breeders keep the females locked up in kennels their entire lives, churning out litter after litter, making money off of their miserable lives, adding to the overpopulation of dogs who then need homes; (3) when a dog can no longer breed due to age, health concerns, etc., far too often the breeders take the dog to a vet for execution, or just kill the dog themselves.  The objection is NOT about money.  It's about the lives and well being of the dogs who have to endure whatever life humans provide (or subject them to).  If you can't respect dogs enough to recognize they have thoughts, feelings, and needs just the same as us, and can experience suffering if it's inflicted on them just the same as us, then fück off.

lf you want a specific breed, look up that breed + rescue and you will find dogs that weren't pick of the litter or returned because the family couldn't handle it.  For example, the link is for the National Pyr Rescue for my favorite breed, the Great Pyrenees. Huge, snow white, kid friendly dogs that are good farm dogs who watch over the family as well as the livestock.  Adorable puppies that can grow to over a hundred pounds and stand 6 feet tall on it's hind feet.  Show and breed quality Pyrs can go for thousands of dollars but the rescue dogs are only $300-$500.

My problem is that most "breeders" are BYBers and it is VERY hard to find a reputable breeder. So when you get a dog from a breeder, more often than not, you just funded a BYBer in their unethical practice.

The issue is when they buy designer mutts...  It encourages bad breeding practices...  And you can get the SAME THING at any shelter.

I have no problem with someone buying a well bred purebred from a breeder.

• Jack H

It depends on what you mean by breeders, there are reputable breeders, mainly show or specialist dogs, *accidental breeders*, where there has been an unexpected, maybe careless pregnancy and backyard, puppy mill breeders. Most, not all of the puppy mill breeders are not good for their dogs, already explained in other answers, you could easily be losing your money and inviting massive vet bills. Accidental litters can produce some fine cross bred animals, generally at low cost. Reputable breeders will often be almost reluctant to sell puppies, when I bought my Saluki last year, I had to outline my experience with the type, my knowledge of the Saluki, describe my garden security and location before she would even send me photographs of the pups. I did get a very beautiful, fit and healthy dog though, after being interviewed at length when I turned up to see the 2 pups on offer and going on a 2 hour hike up a mountain with the breeder and her pack, great fun, I wish I had bought both pups as it happens. So, many breeders are good, most mills are bad...

I don't have a problem with people who buy from a breeder - ANYBODY who produces puppies from their b itch, is 'a breeder' in any case.   What I object to is BYBs who produce puppies for just one thing - INCOME.   And they don't care a jot about what they are producing as long as there is a financial result.   All dogs/puppies have to come from somewhere - guess where..... from A BREEDER.

• You know dogs don't need humans to breed them. Not all dogs come from breeders.

I dont.............

• mokrie

Many breeders are cruel and kill imperfect puppies that they won't make big buck from. Many keep the puppies in inhumane conditions. Not all breeders are reputable.

It's nothing to do with money, but instead the care of the animals.  Any number of dog breeders treat their animals very, very poorly.  They will breed and breed females and when they can produce no more, they simply kill or abandon them.  It is also not uncommon for them to mill dogs through incest.

Our local Amish community now prohibits its members from running these mills after one farm was found to have over a hundred emaciated dogs, with many more who'd been killed when they failed to sell.