External Hard Drive "Sleeping?"?

My hard drive is giving me a seriously hard time. 

Its a WD Hardrive 4TB, the other is also a WD but a 1TB and I have a MacBook Pro, Mojave 10.14.6.

When it turns on it looks fine, then within minutes all the folders show empty or take forever to load up. However, If its actively transferring to my other drive, it lasts a lot longer before the file show empty. My other drive will pause before loading its as well, just not as dramatically. It does not allow me to properly eject it and when I improperly eject it the icon stays on the screen, my other drive will allow me to eject it and removes the icon.I can access all of the files if I do so quickly.  

the discussion below, though old still applies for the mac sleep(power) settings. Or use one of the many Touch applications that regularly do a simple drive read operation to Touch its time to sleep by performing a simple read operation of it.

• David

You need to check whether the drive or the enclosure is developing a fault. Initially run the WD diagnostics available from the WD website. If the drive is under warranty contact WD support.

• Danielle3 weeks agoReport

I will defiantly be giving them a call today when they open, However, the Diagnostic tool is only available for windows and this drive isn't partitioned to work on windows. A Note for me for next time to partition it so I can run the software on my PC. 

just take it to a computer store and let them fix it

• Danielle3 weeks agoReport

I'm aware of computer stores, I prefer to try and fix my own **** before handing it over to another person who may or may not be an expert. Dude broke my PC worse one time and I had to put MORE time into fixing it.