Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 4 weeks ago

How did you get through a divorce?

My husband and I are getting a divorce. We have been together for 8 years and married for 4 years. We dont have kids. I know it is for the best because we just dont work anymore. We have both tried to make it work but I think we have just grown apart. He moved out last night and I felt strange this morning not seeing him but I also felt relief in not feeling the tension. Most of the time it felt like I was walking around walking on eggshells. When we were good, it was great but for the last few years it as been more pain than anything. He is a good person who I will always love for some of the amazing memories we had together. I cried a few times today over everything. The pain, fear and loss of our relationship. I didnt get married to get divorced but I know this is long over due. I think we will both be happier apart. I am very excited and also very terrified for this new chapter of my life. What advice do you have for anyone going through a divorce? 

• Mark
    Favorite Answer

It sounds like you're better off to have 'cut and run' than stay and be miserable for however long you stuck it out - children or not. There's going to be times you question yourself, wonder if it was a mistake to leave, etc. but ultimately, when two people cannot move beyond their 'stuff' and in time, grow together, then it's insane to expect them to be together.

Sometimes, they are better off as just good friends - and sometimes, out of the picture, entirely. Learn from all the experiences you had, good or bad, and be grateful for all of them. Why? because you will be wiser in the next relationship, knowing more about what you want as well as don't want.

Friends are essential to your wellbeing, but avoid any who are into the blame game. That will just drain your energy and feed your ego/desire to be right.

One day at a time...

• Chris

Be thankful you don't have kids. It is easier to move on when you don't have kids keeping you tied to an ex.

• glcang

You get through it by feeling all the feelings. Don’t avoid what feels bad but stay with them . If you fight or resist what you feel they will just become stronger. Allow the sadness, allow missing him, allow whatever comes up...don’t act out...learn how to,use your breath to calm yourself..