Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 3 weeks ago

Can I get medicaid? ?

I’m 20 and still a student in college. Both my parents are turning 65 and will be under medicare soon. Will I be eligible for medicaid since I am currently under my dads work insurance and once he gets medicare that will be taken away from him? 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Eva
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Probably not, especially if you are still living with your parents. Usually when someone has insurance from work and they reach 65 and are still working, they have a choice to switch over to Medicare as their primary insurer and the work insurance becomes their secondary insurer at a reduced premium or they can stay on just the work insurance. You may have to go on the marketplace to get insurance for yourself if your dad's employer does not allow him to continue his insurance.

• A Hunch
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Most insurers do not allow employees to stay on their workplace plan when they are medicare eligible.  If they are a small group paying premiums based on employee age, they probably aren't even allowed and a large group doesn't want to increase their average age.

• 3 weeks ago

You get Medicaid due to household income being too low...since he works at age 64, odds are, your household income will simply be too high. 

Medicaid is last resort health coverage, its not insurance, its basically the healthcare equivalent of welfare. 

• 3 weeks ago

Your dad needs to discuss this with the person he talks to about getting on Medicare.

• 3 weeks ago

No, you would not be eligible for Medicaid.  You should stay under your parents' plan as long as you can.  Then, you will be required to buy your own insurance, if you want insurance.  Many policies allow you to stay on their plan until you are 26.  If your parents drop the plan in favor of medicare, then you will have to buy your own insurance.  If you are healthy, look into catastrophic health insurance. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Some employers continue providing insurance, some don't, so he should ask. Is he retired? Planning to retire at 65? Are you working at all?

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Most colleges offer medical insurance for money.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

you could apply for it and see

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Nope Skippy, wake-up time.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

No. Get a job you bum,

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.