Carolyn asked in PetsReptiles · 4 weeks ago

Can this poor iguana be saved?

I am totally disgusted. A person i know brought a 1 year old iguana to me today because they didnt want him anymore. He looks like a baby except all his ribs are showing and he is too weak to move. I have been trying to hand feed him and he will eat some and have been spritzing with water. I have both uvb and uva going. Cant afford a vet and dont know what else i can do. Any suggestions? Poor little thing is breaking my heart

Try to feed it a lot of vegetables they like kale collard greens red and yellow peppers. Some like fruit banana's apples watermelon. Make sure the baby has enough heat. A heat lamp is good. Also a water bowl. I add water to it's veggies also. Spray with water daily to keep skin smooth and bathe occasionally. I wish you the best as when they get to know you and how you helped him he will love you. Best of luck and as for the person who didn't want it anymore shouldn't have got it in the 1st place. Tell that person I said to GF them self. And not to get any more pets as they don't deserve such a beautiful reptile. I pray it works out for you🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• O Man

If you cant afford a reptile vet maybe contact a rescue and surrender him to the rescue who will ensure he is treated. A vet visit is going be the best chance he has of recovery as there will most likely be vasrious problems brought about by neglect/poor care.

• A S0072 weeks agoReport

A lot of these places abuse them I looked into it

• patty

if u don't take to vet he may die

Ask the SPCA for a referral to a rescue.

Bless you and these situations are heartbreaking.  Did you report the former owner to the SPCA for cruelty?

I was once in a similar situation and did nothing.  And then my "friend" starved two parakeets to death.

• A S0072 weeks agoReport

Your friend should starve to death for being cruel. Karma comes for all evil

Take it to an avian animal hospital so they can give it fluids and put weight on it, it's the quickest way.

You could give it fresh air from outside

Just give him the best care you can. Maybe search up animal rescue for iguana.

If he is eating, drinking, pooping accordingly, he should slowly recover.

Probably been a long time without his UV light, Maybe an hour or two a day in sunlight will help. Just see he has shade available when done basking.

Kudos for the rescue in any event.

maybe someone at a pet store can help you with it

Feed it some meat and/or insects. Young reptiles need more protein than adults. Don't forget calcium powder either.  Even adult green iguanas like to eat meat.

• O Man
      2 weeks agoReport

Iguanas are VEGETARIAN. Their digestivew tract isnt designed for meat, and long term feeding of meaqt leads to illness and premature death.

• Laura

He needs some serious supplements, like some vitamin C. 

I think its great that you have taken him in but he needs a vet to evaluate him and see if he is able to be saved.  If he can't, its kinder to have them put down than to let suffer.