I need a wide angle lens for my D5300. Any help for picking the right one for me ?

Nikon 10-20mm

Sigma 10-20mm

Tokina 11-16mm

I want the best image quality. I am willing go get a second hand one too. What is the best I can get for £350-400.

I do not like chromatic aberration. I hear Tokina has bad chromatic aberration. Is this teh case for this model as well.

MY curretn sigma 17-50mm is great. good optics build quality best in its range...

How is the Nikon 10-20mm would it work with my D5300 I hear there is no switch to turn off stabilisation or something like that

feel free to suggest any other options

Thanks

• qrk
    Favorite Answer

I use the Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8. The Tokina 11-16 is pretty much the same. Wonderful lens. I don't recall if chromatic aberration is problem (I've never needed to remove it), but if it is you can use something like LightRoom to remove CA. You can go on Flickr and do a search for various lenses and see if they have problems. The Tokina 11-20 had focus issues on my D7000. I needed to focus from near to far. If I focused from far to near, it was out of focus. The D7000 was known for crappy focus. On my D500, I have no focus issues with this lens. The D5300 should be new enough where it probably won't have focus issues, but do a search or try one out before committing. This is a heavy lens. If you do night sky photography, I would go with this lens. It's great for northern lights.

The Nikon 10-20 is only a f/4.5 lens and the max aperture changes with focal length. The bonus of using this lens is it is light weight since it is plastic and is only f/4.5.

Ask yourself if you really need an ultra-wide lens. It may seem like a fun lens to have, but it may not get used that much unless you have specific needs.

• BriaR

I have the Sigma 10-20 for my Canon and I love it. Mine is the older f/4-5.6 version not the later f/3.5

You don't need image stabilisation on a 10-20mm lens unless you have had to much to drink the previous night!!