Ramiro asked in SportsBoxing · 4 weeks ago

Why was Saudi Arabia chosen as the location for the Ruiz/Joshua fight?

I think it was an excellent choice i just dont know the reason behind it though

Update:

@u_been_called....i feel like thats just your opinion but im looking for the official reason from the boxing promoters. (although what you said does have a lot to do with it)

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

If you've watched international sports or traveled in Europe over the past couple decades, you've probably noticed the rapidly increasing number of advertisements and sponsorships from businesses in Arab states.  

This is because many of those states are shifting their economies away from oil and moving heavily into trade, tourism and high finance. Places like Dubai have been branding themselves as ultra modern, luxurious and inviting centers for the world's wealthy to come spend and invest their money.

Boxing's heavyweight division is still considered its "premiere" field globally and hosting an event like this simply brings more attention and prestige to the region, similar to Qatar's successful bid to host the FIFA World Cup and the number of high-profile events in sports ranging from tennis and golf to track and motor sports.

• 5 days ago

but all those checkered towels in the crowd seats lol

no idea why saudi arabia was hosting it but they did a spectacular job i feel.

• Ramiro5 days agoReport

Yes i agree. I saw the fight. They chose a very beautiful location and stadium to host it. And yes your right there were a lot of guys with checkered towels but that was so cool and unique to see 

• Ray
    Lv 6
    2 weeks ago

Saudi Arabia recently opened its doors for tourism, they have had an aggressive tourist campaign as of lately, I am certain they offered the best option for the 2 boxers. AJ also regularly visits Dubai, I am sure he has connections with some Saudi's

• Ray
      Lv 6
      2 weeks agoReport

I travel internationally and get a lot of ads from all over the world, as of lately like half of them have been for Saudi Arabia, ive never gotten so many ads for 1 country. AJ didn't want USA and im sure Ruiz did not want UK, i am sure Saudi's made an offer they could not refuse

• 3 weeks ago

Tourism for Saudi Arabia and money for the organizers. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

They put up the most money to have them fight in that location. Money talks and people listen. Saudi Arabia it is folks!

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

$$$$$, the only reason it's there.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.