My husband commited a hit and run in my vehicle what do I do?

My husband hit a vehicle in the Petsmart parking lot, he said the damage was minimal on their bumper from our license plate,  and no damage to our vehicle.  The vehicle is in my name, what do I do?  This happened a week ago, and he just now told me about it!   I'm so mad, but worried at the same time.  Am I going to get a knock on the door from a cop with a warrant?  How long does it take to investigate something like this?  I'm at a loss, but he doesn't seem to be too worried about it!  I'm so pissed!!

• bobby

If it's been a week, it wasn't noticed and would be impossible to prove. You have nothing to worry about, you were not there, you didn't see it happen,  you were not driving.

Can you say "Mountain out of a molehill"?

Do nothing. You were not driving it, you did not see it happen. If a cop did knock, they would not have a warrant.

Relax.  

I don't know what Minimal damage means, but if it means hardly a mark, then chances are the owner will not notice it either. He does not seem worried so probably would have been better had he said nothing.  Maybe when they wash and wax the car next summer they might see a scrape on the BUMPER.  The thing that is suppose to take the majority of the minor hits anyways.  Would not worry about it.

Hey why don't you post about it on line so that the Police can track you down dummy!

• Diana3 weeks agoReport

I want to do the right thing and I'm asking for advice. I didnt cause the accident,  and if that store had cameras, they already know who I am anyway.  I'm pretty sure it's easier to use a license plate number to find someone, than to search Yahoo answers.  

• May

Do the right and honorable thing.  Notify the police in case the other driver made a police report.  This is what you have insurance for.

Do nothing and you may find yourself in a bind.

It sounds minor, if your husband is telling the truth. There won't be any need to report it to the police.

If your husband has not already called the police to report it, then you should do it immediately!

Give it some time and you will get over it.  If anyone saw it, he would have to report it to the police.  Since you have not heard anything, you won't in the future.

At this point I would just wait. You can always say you did not see damage.

• .

It requires security camera footage of your license plate or an eye witness.  Since there was no substantial damage, there might not be a detailed police investigation.

• Edna
      3 weeks agoReport

Damage under $2000 doesn't have to be reported to the police. It CAN be; but it doesn't have to be.