Any tips on how to sleep quicker? And or how to wake up more easily. I’m tired of taking too long to sleep and then get up(excuse there pun)?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Jerry
    Lv 6
    2 weeks ago

The idea that "a good night's sleep" means you go to bed at 11:00, fall asleep by 10:15, sleep for 8 solid hours to awaken at 6:15, then spring out of bed by 6:17 is a heaping platter of bull biscuit. Budget at least 9.5 hours for rest and sleep each night. 

Your body and mind need time for you to gradually relax into sleep and that means time to just lay there resting quietly with your eyes closed for 30 minutes to an hour. If you're concerned about falling asleep quickly because you must rise so soon, then go to bed earlier and give yourself time to fall asleep slowly.

It's natural and normal to awaken in the night. That includes awakening to go urinate, but also finding yourself awake for no particular reason. Again, avoid concern about falling back asleep quickly by budgeting adequate nightly hours for rest and sleep. It's natural and normal to spend some of your sleep time resting quietly rather than sleeping, relaxing in a somewhat wakeful state as sleep gradually returns.

When your body gets adequate sleep, it will awaken on its own. If you're not at least half awake and half aware a good 10-15 minutes before the alarm goes off, then you're not budgeting enough time for rest and sleep. Your mind and body need to awaken and return to alertness gradually, not get an abrupt ring-a-ding awakening, not with out-of-bed-in-a-red-hot-minute whammy. 

• Hope!
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Vitamin B12 - there are sublingual pills you put under your tongue, so that it absorbs straight into the blood stream - this is a good way to take it, as some people don't absorb it well in the digestive tract.. anyway, B12 helps with energy supposedly.. I haven't found that it helps give me more energy, but it does make me wake up feeling alert.. it might be worth looking into.

To fall asleep quicker - first, get some fresh air and exercise sometime during the day, but not 2 hours before bedtime.

Have a set bedtime schedule and stick to it.. so that you get used to it.. 

One hour before bedtime dim the lights, relax, shut down electronics.. this will cause your body to start making melatonin, which is what causes you to fall asleep. 

If you are going to sleep at 10pm, at 9 you could set an alarm, then start your bedtime routine.. a short walk outside is okay, but nothing too strenuous, a hot bath, turn off electronics, clear your mind of negative thoughts, listen to quiet music, do some deep breathing exercises.. and that ought to help. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.