Can someone view a house for sale with out your consent?

So me and my husband just rented a house. We have been here for a week now. We were told the house was for sale for investment purposes (for someone to rent it out) but his year contract would still be honored if there were to be a new owner. We got a call someone was coming to view the house. On his lunch break they came and I took the dogs somewhere for awhile so they wouldn't be a bother. We were under the impression an owner would be there. He wasn't and neither was the real estate person. Basically, the people were talking about purchasing the house to live in. My husband was confused as this was not communicated to him. He was pissed having to show the house when we don't wanna move out and just finally got settled in (barely, its been a week). So basically my question is 1) Is this okay for him to be asked by the owner to show a house that he does not want to move out of?? 2) Can they actually choose to make us move out if they purchase? Also, it was just a coincidence that he was able to show the house because he was on his lunch break. I would NOT have chosen to show the house to strangers without my husband there so that would not have been possible if he wasn't off work. thanks guys!

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Well, as you were informed of the house being up for sale, then, if someone wants to view, that is fair, but at a mutual time and date, though.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

Sure, if you consent to it (mutual agreement) but otherwise it is a violation of law to enter your private home without at least giving the required prior notice.

• Sally
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

Yes.  I am looking at my neighbor's house right now without his consent.  

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Once again Boomer proves to not be certified in anything.  If sold to someone wanting to move in then they have to wait out or BUY OUT your lease!

You do not have to show his house for him but must allow access for him to show the property.

Buy out usually means enough for you to move and expenses of the move IF YOU decide to sell out the lease to a new occupying buyer.

• 3 weeks ago

1 - he can be asked; he doesn't have to agree. The landlord / agent needs to give the required 24 hours notice; it's up to you whether you're in the property when it takes place or not.

2 - no; if you have a lease, this transfers to the new owner

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

The owner only needs to give what your state considers to be reasonable advance notice to show the property. Many states do not mention a specific time period, so common law holds that 24 hours, unless a shorter time is cited specifically, is reasonable. Getting a call the same day is not reasonable and you could have refused. And, regardless of notice, if the owner or their representative (such as a real estate professional) is not accompanying the looker, you do not have to let the looker in. You do not have to allow a stranger into your own unless they are accompanied by the owner or their agent.

If you have a written lease, any new owner must honor the lease. They can seek to buy you out of the lease, but they cannot force you out.

I recommend you look up your state's landlord/tenant law. The same advance notice that applies to the landlord entering to do non-emergency work applies to this. Once you know the law, then in the future, if you get a call to show that is not reasonable, you can say so and tell the owner or their agent to follow the law, or, you have the option of letting them in by saying that you are making an exception this one time.

Keep in mind that if you are given advance notice, you do not have to be present, and the owner or their agent may enter to show the property whether you are present or not.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Yes they can show the house. 

You do not have to leave the house while they show it.

They do not need to work around your schedule to show the house (as long as they've given you notice and aren't showing the house at 3 AM or something like that).

No they cannot terminate your lease without your consent.  However, if they really want to live there, they could make you a very tempting cash for keys offer.   Or they could just wait out the year and then give you notice to vacate.

If someone handed your house keys to a stranger who was not accompanied by a licensed agent or the owner, I'd be pretty upset about that.    However, it's possible the buyer is also an agent.  

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

Yes, in NH the court has a ready-made form for a tenant to file, free of charge, if the landlord enters without their consent, resulting in an emergency restraining order.

• 3 weeks ago

Had your husband been unable to be there, they would have been required in most places to send an agent.  

They just need to provide you with notice...whether they want to come in to make sure you have working smoke detectors or if they are looking to sell the property in its entirety...24 hours notice in most places is all they need to provide.  Doesnt matter the purpose really.  

I'd be upset that they handed over your keys, if thats what happened.  I mean, the buyers were likely screened first, but thats not the point.  You dont have a right to be uspet about the visit (other than strangers with keys) and you have no right to be upset that someone is going to buy the home and non-renew your lease.  You get to stay until the end of your lease, but perhaps offer a cash for keys exchange so they can move in and you can get some help with moving costs. 

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

You "believe simplythefacts"?  She's just wrong. Are you trying to explain why you agree that she's wrong?

• 3 weeks ago

First as far as showing the property, the landlord or his Realtor must be present.  You should advise your landlord that his agent is sending people to view the property without being with them.  While you cannot demand to be present you should be notified of the showing.  The new owner must honor the terms of your lease.  They may try to buy you out but you don't have to agree.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Never allow a stranger to come to your house without your landlord or his real estate agent present. Once someone buys and has closed on the house, they can serve you with an eviction notice, no matter what your lease says.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

They can "serve you with an eviction notice", or ask you to stand on your head, but they probably can't actually evict a tenant who hasn't violated an executory lease.  That's the whole point of having a long-term lease.

• P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

1.  They can can ask you anything they want, but you don't have to let them in the house. That doesn't stop them from selling it, and they also may not want to renew your lease if you don't ever cooperate.  Maybe voluntarily allow 1 showing a month scheduled well in advance.   

2.   Your lease takes precedence even if the house is sold.  The new owner has to contractually respect your current lease.   Generally if the new owner wants to rent it anyway they will be very happy you are paying rent. Otherwise they would have to wait until the end of your lease or pay you to move.  

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

This is generally true. State laws vary regarding whether LL needs CONSENT of tenants or merely notice of intent to enter for anything other than an emergency. A lease is couple with a property right and "goes with the property" when sold.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.