A asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 weeks ago

If u r familiar with selling on offer up, is this wierd?

My husband has a somewhat expensive book listed on there to sell. He didn't get any responses for a bit then someone inquired as to the ISBN number. Not too wierd but I figured if ur familiar w/ a particular book, chances are, you've already looked up the ISBN #, -or-, u could just easily find it yourself, on the web, given u have the pic, edition, authors, etc... But the person was super persistent, & I wondered why he couldn't just find it himself.

Then, another person did the same thing, only wanting to know the ISBN around the same time, & very Persistent.

I just thought it was a little wierd, n wondered if it could be related to some kind day scam or something, bc even though it would typically seem like a totally normal question, it was the timing, and persistence, same question, etc...

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

The prospective buyer can't 'look up the ISBN' of a book that your husband owns. He wants to know WHICH ISBN number it has so that he can decide if it's an edition he would like to buy, or whether he has that edition already.

Don't be awkward. Just tell him! It's hardly classified information.

• 3 weeks ago

i have not been able to sell anything on offer up

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

I can't see how someone could use that in a scam.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Each edition of the book has its own ISBN number. If it was published in two countries, for example it was published in the United States and in the United Kingdom, each book would have it's own ISBN and only that ISBN on the verso of the title page.  If it was published by two different publishers, e.g. WW Norton published it in 1977 and Simon and Schuster in 2017, each publication would have its own ISBN and only that ISBN. The hardcover, the paperback and the e-book each have their own ISBN.

So what edition of the book does your husband have?  That's what your prospective buyers want to know and that is what the ISBN will tell them.  Tell them the ISBN of that book in your hand. They will check to see if it is the ISBN of the expensive and rare edition. They probably have looked up the ISBN of the edition they want and are asking you in order to confirm you have that edition.  If your book is indeed the edition they want, they will offer to buy it.  If it is not, then they will not take up more of your time and cyberspace.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

It makes perfect sense for someone to ask for the ISBN number. There are probably multiple editions of the book, with different ISBN numbers. One of them may be very rare and valuable, while the other one (same title and author but different ISBN) may not be.

Maybe your husband is ignorant of that fact, but he'd better answer the question or else he may lose out on making a lot of money -- if, in fact, the book he's selling is the rare ISBN and not the common one.

• 3 weeks ago

Every edition published has its own ISBN number. These people wanted confirmation that the edition offered for sale is indeed a particular edition of a book that had more than one publication. If you couldn't produce it, then the one your husband has for sale starts looking fishy.

But it isn't, assuming it's not an antique printing before ISBNs became the norm.

• Marli
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Then give your potential buyer that number.

• 3 weeks ago

In Wikipedia terms:

"The International Standard Book Number is a numeric commercial book identifier which is intended to be unique. Publishers purchase ISBNs from an affiliate of the International ISBN Agency. An ISBN is assigned to each separate edition and variation of a publication."

In other words, they are checking exactly what is on offer. Different editions/issues can have very different prices and values.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.