Anonymous

Grounded 6 months (2 1/2 months in) very depressed not sure what to do?

2 1/2 months ago I spent the night at a guys house and my parents found my dab pen (weed) since then I have accepted my punishment and been trying very hard to gain trust. I am homeschooling this year so since Im grounded from everything phone, friend Im very lonely. I also have alot of new chores I have to do every day before I can read or be on the computer,but they have to see my screen at all times and I can't watch anything above tv-14 Im grounded till feb 25  I got grounded during my 16 birthday,  A few weeks ago I was allowed to travel by myself to visit family ( I had no phone though) I still have no car or phone at all, A month ago me and my family went to a local highschool football game my parents told me " you can go find your friends and hang out but be back at half time" also they have let me get a job, and recently they asked "IF you could have any social media what would you want" what I am saying is 2 months ago my parents said I couldn't have a job or see friends or a car and all these things now I have been able to see my friends once, my mom brought up looking for cars and I have a job. But she says she doesn't trust me with a phone and the other night when I was crying she said she was gonna suprise me and invite my friend over in a few weeks. I tell her how I am confused and how them going back on their words makes me have hope of getting ungrounded sooner and she said " you are not getting anything back till 25 of feb." I am confused and lost help.

• Foofa
    Favorite Answer

I guess you're learning that parents aren't infallible and they don't always have all the answers. Chances are your parents spend hours agonizing over how to handle this and how to get you back on track. So accept what leniencies they're willing to give you and don't ask too many questions. It's good that they're taking this seriously (but you're probably lucky you're not in boarding school at this point).

Go livd with your boyfriend. Clearly yiu have a bright future.

• GB

Only grounded for smoking weed?  My parents would have disowned me.

My goodness what a whiney brat you make yourself sound. You smoke weed & have sex (age 16? young and really stupid) and not only do you do that against your parents' wishes, you let yourself get caught. Now you are getting punished and rightly so. Of course they don't trust you. You aren't trustworthy are you. However, 2.5 months in you have been sticking to their rules for a change and they are relenting a little. Instead of enjoying this sensation you are still pretty stupid because all you can now say is that you're confused that they aren't keeping their word. THEY are in charge. THEY make the rules. If THEY want to change the rules and give you a tiny bit of fun during your punishment, just thank them. Hopefully, you will learn the lesson they are trying to teach you - smoke weed and shag strange blokes and you get grounded - but I don't think you are bright enough to understand this and will no doubt immediately go out and do it again as soon as they let you off the leash.

• Tj

They see you are doing as they ask, they are giving you more and more relaxed rules, be happy for that. No phone is no reason to cry over it.

• mmm

they are giving you baby steps - until they can completely trust you

don't question what they are doing and going back on their word but think of this as a learning experience - the better you do the more you get - freedom wise

Grow up baby

You did drugs and now you are faking depression to get out of it 

Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time.

• Juana

I don't know what you're confused about. If you're behaving well, it's pretty usual for people of authority to start to go easier. Doesn't change what happened or any decisions being made. Accept what's being given, and grow the hell up.