Anonymous

Would it be bad if I told my boss I don't feel comfortable doing a certain task?

I'm 16 and I've been working at this place for about 2 months now. Last week, they had me go to offsite (a storage place where we put all of our products that we can't fit in the store). I went there and it really freaked me out. There's a bunch of long hallways with doors and some of the lights is the building weren't working. I have anxiety and I'm a very paranoid person. This place scares me so much. We go there at night when it's completely dark outside. We just lift a bunch of boxes, and bring them into our storage rooms.

I have to do this again tonight and I just seriously hate doing this more than anything else. I don't understand why of all people, they choose the weakest looking person to go to a shady storage building. I just want to continue working in the store at the register and stocking shelves where I feel safe.

• Scott

You are probably "low man" on the totem pole. When you're hired to work for someone, you do what they ask you to do (as long as it's legal) without complaining. It all pays the same. You need to grow up.

You can "ask" him if he can find someone else to do it but it is part of "your" job so you are expected to do it. Tell him you find it scary. Don't go on and on about ridiculous nonsense like anxiety and paranoia. He might just fire you. Excuses to justify not doing your job won't sit well with an employer. If he finds someone else, great. If he doesn't, then either do your job or find another one.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • Judy

He'll very possibly fire you, or he might just take someone else instead. You don't get to pick and choose which tasks you'll do.

You being "freaked out" is not your bosses problem.

They can find any number of older people to do the job. Don't give them a reason.

You can mention it but you cannot refuse to do the tasks you are assigned.

Does he have someone else that would not mind doing it?  When I was a manager, I would do things for employees when possible but if someone flat out refused to do anything in their job, I would fire them.

Mine would ask if they can have so and so day off this week, and I would say fine. Find someone to take your shift.

If they wanted a certain day off, as long as it was not a weekend, I could do that too.

• Alex

Tell your boss that you feel unsafe performing this particular task alone at night.  Given your age, there should be no problem here.  He'll either have someone else do it, send someone else with you, or send you during the daytime.

Ignore the other people here giving you grief. They're just bullying you.

• NONAME

16 year olds are not allowed to do any of that...so either troll or you got a lawsuit on your hands..

"Would it be bad if..." 

This isn't about bad.  This is about whether you are a match for the job or not.   If you are unwilling to go to the storage unit, your employer will either accommodate you or fire you.

If you are 16, you might have one of your parents visit the storage place with you to see what it's like and then have them call your employer if they are concerned. 

I would fire you...without thinking twice about it.  

You don't have to do anything that you do not want to do.

However, the consequences may be that they terminate you and replace you with someone who will.

You couldn't have done my job years ago, I spent a night with an Egyptian mummy every shift. You'll have to just get on with it.