What difference does the bowl make whether people eat the food in it or not?

If I bring food to a pot luck meal in the bowl on the left, it's usually eaten up. If I bring the same food in the bowl on the right, it's hardly touched.

Attachment image

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

I can guarantee you that if what you brought had serious yum appeal, they'd eat it out of either bowl.   People are like pigs at a trough when someone brings something they know will be delicious.

My guess is what you're bringing doesn't have a lot of yum appeal so when you put it in a dark bowl that looks old and dingy, people are more likely to gravitate to other items.

It may also matter where your bowl is on the buffet.   If it's at the beginning of the line, people may be more eager.   If it's at the end of the line and people's plates are already full, it may get passed over (unless, as I said, it's something really delicious). 

• denise
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

We eat with our 'eyes' first, its all about making food appealing / attractive.

• 2 weeks ago

Food presentation is everything.You may even at times think the food tastes better.Its stating what you think of the dish without saying a word.

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

Huh, I prefer the bowl on the right. Maybe it's dirty? You can't tell from the pic.

• debodun2 weeks agoReport

It's as clean as I can get it. I tried cleanser and scrub pads. Maybe something that was acidic ate into the glaze.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 weeks ago

Don't know. My wife buys potato salad at Sam's Club, adds a little extra mustard and puts it in a bowl. It sells out while supermarket plastic containers languish untouched.

• 3 weeks ago

It depends on where the punch bowl is. Some people hold their drink with their right hand so it's easier to pick food on the left side.

• Cammie
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

We enjoy food with our eyes and smell before eating .Go for the pretty bowl.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Sounds like some weird kind of feng shui.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.