can you open dish washer door during run cycle?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Save as PDF

Table of contents

How to Add Dishes to the Whirlpool Dishwasher After the Cycle has Started

You can add an item anytime before the main wash starts. Open the door and check the detergent dispenser. If the cover is still closed, you can add items. If the dispenser door is open, it is too late to add the item; it should go into the next load.

Lift the door latch to stop the cycle. Wait for the spraying action to stop before opening the door. All cycle and options selected lights will flash to indicate that the cycle is suspended.

Open the door. If the detergent dispenser lid is still closed, add the item.

Firmly close the door until it latches.

The lights will stop flashing when the door is properly shut. After a slight delay, the cycle will automatically resume at the point of interruption.

Dishwasher door open.jpg

NOTE: If the door is opened during a running cycle, there may be up to a 30-second delay before the dishwasher restarts after the door is closed.

Was this article helpful?YesNoSign in and leave feedback

Recommended articles

Black or Gray Marks Left on Dishes After a Cycle

Cleaning Mineral Deposits

Getting the Best Results when Using a Dishwasher

How Water Temperature Affects Cycle Time

• 3 weeks ago

yes but if you do the machine will stop 

• Ann
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I have a Bosch dishwasher, and if I need to open the door while it is running, it will automatically stop.  There is some risk of getting hot, soapy water on the floor.  To restart it, I have to push the "Start" button again.  I think it depends on the brand you have as to what will happen.  Check on your brand's website to see if that question has been asked in Q & A.

• 3 weeks ago

If the door is opened during a running cycle, there may be up to a 30-second delay before the dishwasher restarts after the door is closed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Kate
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Simple answer.....NO. Not unless you turn it off first.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Huh? All of mine "turn off" as you open the door latch. Then you close the door and push the start button to get it to go again.  Not that hard a concept.

• 3 weeks ago

With SOME dishwashers, it is possible. If you try, it WILL make a mess.

• 3 weeks ago

sure. the dishwasher will stop, you'll add whatever you forgot, and then it'll likely restart automatically when you close the door

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Oddly enough, there is no actual worldwide standard for dishwasher door interlocks.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Yes I have done it many times but you can get slightly wet.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

I find that a ten-second delay after unlatching the door is all it takes to avoid getting wet when I then open the door.

• 3 weeks ago

From my experience it just depends on how old your dish washer is. The power button on mine doubles as a pause button. You just hit it one time to stop the cycle and after you close the door hit it again to start the cycle back up.

Otherwise you might get a face full of water if it's a really old unit.

Krishna Perkins

• 3 weeks ago

Yes, done it a million times.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

"A million times"?  A "million"?  I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.