Update:

Do dogs purr?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • al
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Purring (and many other low-frequency vocalizations in mammals) often are associated with positive social situations: nursing, grooming, relaxing, being friendly. More likely, though, purring is simply soothing, or self-soothing, as cats may also purr in stressful situations.

Dogs don't purr!!!

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

They purr for 2 reasons - contentment (being happy) or they are in pain from an injury or sickness.

Dogs are unable to purr.  Only cats purr.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

They purr from pleasure, but also just to confuse us some cats purr when they are stressed or in pain.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

They do it when they are happy and contented. Dogs do not purr and cats do not bark. Different kinds of animals make different sounds.

• Ocimom
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

There is a video of a cat that sounds like its barking.  When the cat turns around to see the owner the bark changes back to a meow.  Look it up :)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

i like pork, am I normal? beer is rum. african cüm german cüm. OH DEAR! here we go again boi. Do you know what a parkee is? PARKEES! PARKEES! 11AM-5PM EVERY SUMMER DAY! CLAY POTS AND POWDER PAINT! YAY! There was a pet semetary at Ted Fritsch Park from summer 2011 - summer 2013. BREHME IS A SEXY BEAST. HE"S MY SEXY BEAST. What's Doxycycline? Is it a PARKEE stimulator? WHO KNOWS! "NO RECORDING AT THE PARK!" fück you lady. PARKEES ARE LOVE! PARKEES ARE LIFE! NOBY CAN TELL ME DIFFERENT! what's a stream? Brehme's stream of love! DANI FOREVER! CRAWFISH! CRAWFISH! CRAWFISH! DAKOTA ORLICH WILL RULE TED FRITSCH PARK! americans hate cüm! happy cüm african cüm. MOTER FOODER. “DELETE TAHT FOOTAGE RIGHT NOW” “YOU NEED TO STAY AWAY FROM THE PARK SHELTER” fück those parkees.

FüCK THE ARMY! FüCK WATER! I WILL CHOP YOUR artery. I wont chop. What the f? I look like what? A weird racoon? I guess so!

• 3 weeks ago

Some theories include: happiness/contentment; anxiety, a way to calm down; to calm restless kittens, in the case of a mother.  Cats have been heard purring in the last few minutes before dying.  

Some dogs, raised by a cat "mother", pick up the habit of growling quietly as an imitation of purring.  Since purring and meowing use different vocal chords and dogs only have one set of chords, it doesn't quite sound the same.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.