Was Uncle Tom's Cabin a good book?

Is it worth reading?

Not as good as Uncle Tom’s Caravan. 😂

Yep. It's worth reading.

I've read it in the past year and I thought it was really very good with many excellent characters. Definitely worth reading. And don't listen to these comments about "Victorian" English. It is not difficult to understand at all.

• Gonzo

If it demeans blacks it is good!

I thought it was an excellent story.

"Good" is relative. What good to you may not be good to someone else. Read it and decide is it good to you.

It wouldn't still be so widely read and discussed, well over a century and a half since publication, it it wasn't 'good'.

Although a lot of people get upset and offended by its casual use of 'racist' language, it serves as a useful reminder of how far we have come since then; how much LESS dismissive of coloured people society generally is now, in comparison with then.

• Sometimes harsh language is necessary to reveal the hard truth about things. 

• Thanks for the link, but I'm asking if it's GOOD, not what it's about

• Marli

It's written in Victorian English, so be patient with the language.

Yes, it is worth reading as a influential anti-slavery book and a document of American history.

It also provides the background to the insult "You're an Uncle Tom."

• stony1111
      3 weeks agoReport

I agree Blahblahblah. Uncle Tom is the selfless hero who would do anything to prevent pain and suffering in others.

I don't know, does it have to do with black people?

• Zac Z
      3 weeks agoReport

No, it's a textbook on carpentry!   SMH