Is it worth reading?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Not as good as Uncle Tom’s Caravan. 😂

• 2 weeks ago

Yep. It's worth reading.

• 3 weeks ago

I've read it in the past year and I thought it was really very good with many excellent characters. Definitely worth reading. And don't listen to these comments about "Victorian" English. It is not difficult to understand at all.

• Gonzo
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

If it demeans blacks it is good!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

I thought it was an excellent story.

• 3 weeks ago

"Good" is relative. What good to you may not be good to someone else. Read it and decide is it good to you.

• 3 weeks ago

It wouldn't still be so widely read and discussed, well over a century and a half since publication, it it wasn't 'good'.

Although a lot of people get upset and offended by its casual use of 'racist' language, it serves as a useful reminder of how far we have come since then; how much LESS dismissive of coloured people society generally is now, in comparison with then.

• Sometimes harsh language is necessary to reveal the hard truth about things. 

• 3 weeks ago
    • Thanks for the link, but I'm asking if it's GOOD, not what it's about

• Marli
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

It's written in Victorian English, so be patient with the language.

Yes, it is worth reading as a influential anti-slavery book and a document of American history.

It also provides the background to the insult "You're an Uncle Tom."

• stony1111
      Lv 4
      3 weeks agoReport

I agree Blahblahblah. Uncle Tom is the selfless hero who would do anything to prevent pain and suffering in others.

• 3 weeks ago

I don't know, does it have to do with black people?

• Zac Z
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

No, it's a textbook on carpentry!   SMH

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.