Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 4 weeks ago

Why can't you be considered vegan if you eat eggs?

I moved to my mother's house after she died. With lands and female chickens. I don't eat meat, so I treat the chickens well, like special family members, I can't leave them to fend for themselves, they will die within a day, got lots of predators like foxes where I live. I made sure they have a lot of safe space for themselves though. They do lay eggs, it's their period, some of them they reject, some of them they decide to look after/sit on them. I pick the eggs that are rejected and eat them. I see no cruelty in that. My mother was going to buy a male chicken to get chicks, I'm glad she didn't or I would have problems 😂

Favorite Answer

Being vegan is not about helping animals. It is about having the label. And you can only have that label if you don't use anything from an animal, even if the animal was not harmed in doing it, even if it benefits the animal. To be a vegan you have to throw those eggs away or let them sit and rot. You aren't allowed to eat them or else you wont be allowed to wear the label of being a vegan.

Source(s): the vegan police

Because a lot of vegans are just like fundamentalist Christians in their zealotry and lack of tolerance for dissent.

Why are you so hung up on a label? Do you really need the term "vegan" to validate yourself? 

• denise

Vegans dont eat animals or animal products, Even honey is off the menu!

• Todd

From a neutral perspective, I have to say I see no harm in consuming unfertilized eggs. I can see the dead-pan vegan argument, part of which would be it interrupts the natural cycle. Those eggs could have been consumed by other animals and/or just rot and fertilize the ground. A less strong argument would be that consuming eggs encourages people to breed hens that naturally wouldn't have existed, thereby supporting mass production of birds that wouldn't need to exist. There's also the whole living conditions argument. Since I'm neutral, I say go ahead and eat eggs. If you are worried about the welfare of chickens, just eat ones from happy birds :)

same reason you can't be considered a turkey if you are a chicken. words have meanings. if you are a chicken, why do you want to be called a turkey so bad?

besides, even in the most ethically set up egg farm they still cull male birds and raise almost exclusively hens. so even in the best case scenario you have the deaths of many male chicks to consider.

• Clive

Because it's in the definition of vegan - you eat no animal products.  Eggs are an animal product.  It's not hard to understand.

• Cammie

No one cares what you eat and don't eat. Forget about the name.Eat foods that are healthy and you enjoy.

• Vela

that's vegetarian.

vegans avoid all animal products

I see you don't know much about chickens!

By definition a “vegan” is a person who chooses to eat no animal products at all - eggs are an animal product.