How Do I remove the BIOS Password?

The model name of my desktop is Compaq Evo D310. For the past few months I have been having an issue with the BIOS/CMOS Password, (also known as the Power-On Password according to my research). I bought it from someone in second hand,  and the previous owner has forgotten the password. I tried some tutorials online, related to this. but they seem to make no sense. The motherboards owned by people who posted the tutorials on YT is quiet different. All of them claim of have a CMOS battery on the motherboard, and jumper points which are used to reset the Password, with the names written on the side of those points like, CLEAR, CLR, PASWRD, CMOS...etc. But the motherboard I have doesn't seem to have these names because of which I am unable to identify the jumper points. Here is a picture of the motherboard I have and the picture viewed on my monitor, if you require more pictures, just Google the model name and click on the 'Image' section. Would appreciate if any of U guys help me out! 

If you didn't disconnect the power from the PC and discharge the PSU, then pulling the BIOS battery will do no good.

turn off the mains power socket, open up the case and next to the CMOS battery(the CR2032) are the jumpers, and put across the JUMPER(from NRM postion to the CLR position) to drain the system CMOS values(the bios settings)...there could also be a separate bios password jumper in a separate place maybe maked PWD which may also need moving. after a few seconds, replace the jumpers back to their NRM - normal setting. Your BIOS settings are now CLEARED and you must start the system and enter the BIOS and LOAD DEFAULTS and apply them. You may need to repeat this twice, the 2nd time, applying your performance settings to get the best out of the pc and any other settings like using legacy usb keyboard or the order of boot devices.

• keerok

There's a jumper switch on the motherboard to clear the BIOS. Just trip that for about 10 seconds with the CPU off. Warning: All BIOS settings will revert to default values.

• David

Depending on the motherboard there will either be a bank of switches or you need to be looking for a header/jumper E49 or P49, somwhere near the BIOS battery

Disconnect all the peripherals keyboard, monitor mouse etc.

Remove the jumper from pins 1 and 2, keep it safe.

Reconnect all the peripheral plug in the the computer and turn on power. Allow the operating system to start. This clears the current passwords and disables thepassword features.To re-enable the password features, shutdown the computer then replace the jumper on pins 1 and 2.

If you board has the bank of switches shown below, then turn off the computer set switch 6 to "on" to clear the password, and power up the computer.  The password should be cleared, shutdown the computer and then reset switch 6 to off.

Shut it down, disconnect the power lead and then hold the power button in for 30 seconds, to ensure the PSU is completely discharged.

Then move the yellow jumper near the battery to it's other position (the two pins nearer the battery).

Wait a few seconds then move it back.

That should hopefully have cleared the CMOS settings, and removed any password as long as there is no TPM on board.

(A TPM is a dedicated security chip, separate from the BIOS and not erasable without the password).

Try it & see what happens?

• geek-in-training
      2 weeks agoReport

Also replace the CMOS battery. Your computer thinks it is 2011 and not 2019, which could add to your "troubles".

Two options.  The first is there is a jumper on the system board that you can remove, restart the computer, and once it is booted shut it down and put the jumper back.  That will clear the BIOS.  It is usually labeled either SW1.

Or you can unplug the unit, remove the BIOS battery (looks like a large watch battery) and let it set for 12 hours.  That will also clear the BIOS.

I don't know that particular machine but in general it is a green jumper adjacent to the SATA connections.

Power the machine down and disconnect the mains before looking for this jumper. Remove it and plug the power back in and fire the computer up again.  Wait until you see the flash screen and turn it off once more, disconnecting the power again for your safety. Reinstall the jumper, reconnect the power and fire it up again. This time you should see that the password(s) have been reset.

• P

Just remove that little battery.  Wait 12 hours and then see if it reset the bios settings.