Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 3 weeks ago

How easy would it be to sneak a joint on a plane?

Save the rant-I'm never going to do this. I'd be way too paranoid to even try. But I'm wondering if it would be easy to hide a joint on a plane? Could you just put it in your sock or something?

• AJ

And if you get caught which is highly likely, not only would be arrested for possession but also for intent to distribute

It is not too difficult to smuggle a joint onto a plane.

The Air crew do not care much unless you desire to smoke it during the flight.

Security does not care very much either unless they smell it or find it.

Fluffy, Rex Fido and assorted others really like it. It smells so good even in trace amounts. Watch their tails wag when they find some.

Will Fido wander around your boarding area or your TSA line MAYBE.

You decide if it is worth the risk to wander around an area patrolled by Police.

Suggest you just buy some more at your destination. That is also risky but a little less than an Airport.

According  to CATSA That is the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority

A legal amount of recreational cannabis is permitted (30g or less). Cannabis oil is subject to the liquid restrictions – 100 ml (3.4 oz.) or smaller container permitted in carry-on.

One joint has about ONE gram of marijuana. Of course some have more and others less.

If you are in USA too bad for you.

I'm sure it's been done. The problem is not the TSA check- it's the drug dogs and it's hard to predict when they are going to be around. 

Honestly, I'd just put it in my hygiene stuff. It would blend in

• martin

Security checks mainly for anything liquid, obvious combustibles, or anything metallic that resembles a weapon. A loose cigarette wouldn't set off an alarm because it couldn't be used for violence. However, if traveling internationally, drugs are major issues when found.

• Daniel

Putting it in your sock would be stupid if you are in the US, unless you have Pre Check.  The body scanner would see it in your sock.

You could probably just put it in your carry-on bag.  TSA is looking for weapons, not joints.  

If you get by the drug sniffing dogs(doubtful) you’ll be fine.

My brother-in-law flys with one of those vape pens all the time.  He travels both domestically and internationally.  Just puts it in his his carry on bag.  He has a medical mj card, but the TSA never questions it.

I took a half ounce of weed twice from country A to country B on a plane with me many years ago. Looking back, I am aghast at my stupidity but in my defence, getting weed in country B was very difficult and very expensive.

One time it was inside my checked luggage and the other time I had it with me in the cabin. In both cases, I had pretty solid concealment and the smell was the biggest issue. I anticipated this and prepared well for it.

I was successful both times in my international drug smuggling.

Would I do this again? Nope. No way!

Do I recommend you do anything similar? Nope. No way!

I don't know where you're flying from or to but the risks, should you be caught, will presumably FAR outweigh the benefits of a single doobie.

Probably easy if you're flying Spirit.