Is it inappropriate and unprofessional to give co-workers nicknames based on their appearances/personalities?

Let’s say a female legal assistant at a law firm calls one of her fellow legal assistants (who is petite) “Itsy.” In addition, she also speaks properly and has a large vocabulary. But because she is black, the receptionist (who is black and embraces black people being loud, ignorant, and uses slang) calls the petite woman “bouj” (short for “boujie.”

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

unprofessional................

• 4 weeks ago

Depends on the culture of the workplace.  In the engineering environment I worked in, we called people whatever we wanted, but it was all congenial.  I've had co-workers who went by Bunny or Chrissy, and if that's what they wanted, then fine.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

It could be anywhere from totally fine to workplace harassment.

It completely depends on the culture of the workplace and whether anyone is bothered by the nicknames. 

• 4 weeks ago

It depends if its gonna hurt their feelings.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Call co-workers by their correct first names. Address senior employees as Mr. or Mrs.

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

yes it is very unprofessional and this person could and should be reprimanded by HR. how would that receptionist feel if that "itsy" co-worker called her "ghetto"? I have a feeling it wouldn't go over well. Best to stick to people's name at work. It's never right to call or give a co-worker a nickname, unless it's agreed to by everybody. 

• 4 weeks ago

Yes, I think it's great.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

If she got big titties you can call her busty

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

You don't even have to ask. Unless you are retarded. Guess that's the case here.

• 4 weeks ago

If your friendly with them and they don't mind when you call it them the first time, I would think that if they did not like it p, they would say so.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.