Kayla asked in PetsDogs · 3 weeks ago

Why is my dog becoming more aggressive towards other dogs? How do I stop it?

Hi I have a dog that’s about 3-4 years old and she’s always been docile and sweet. She’s good with people and kids and shows no sign of aggression towards them. For many years she’s been fine with other dogs, a bit shy or cautious when they first come up to her, but she would warm up to them pretty quickly. Even if the other dog was aggressive she would be submissive and move away from the dog and return to me straight away (no barking, growling or biting back). Recently, however she has become aggressive towards dogs in the last few months for seemingly no reason. Everything will be fine at first and she would act how she use to but instead of her warming up she’ll growl, bark and just generally be more aggressive. She doesn’t stay mad/aggressive for long, it’s only about for a few seconds and she’ll still get away from the dog when I call (I don’t need to pull her away, tho I still do if I’m able to). This hasn’t been a one off thing so I’m getting concerned. She is a lovely dog and is really cuddly and sweet, her acting like this is really out of character for her.

She is fixed. I take her for walks with a ball (I’ve decided to try without the ball from now on tho). She is allergic to grass and it acts up around this time of year with her being more itchy, but it hasn’t been a problem in the past. She did go a few months without consistent daily walks (1-2 times a week instead of daily) while I was busy with school. She 3/4 English Staffy and 1/4 Jack Russell 

I would ask a trainer. Or just use a shock collar.

its called familiarisation and training

Your answer lies in the cross breed she is.You've just been lucky so far Both of those breeds are aggressive towards other animals.

My dog routing beats the **** out of every other dog in my neighbourhood. I've tried everything to keep him under control. Put better locks on my garden, chaining him to his kennel, even locking him in a small safe. But the little **** always gets out! I knew he was a smart dog but i didn't think he'd have the dexterity to pick a lock.

Anyway, to solve the problem, i just had to get in there and beat the fuk out of him myself. Blood and tears were shed, but we're closer now as a result. So these days when he goes out on a rampage, I sometimes join him.

• Maxi

Dog do "what works" and give up on things that don't work...so she has always felt fearful/anxious of other dogs and displayed submissiveness which humans (including you) feel is acceptable and many times allow even praising the dog, so reinforcing submissive behaviour AND THE FEAR associated with it...so praising a dog that is fearful telling it the owner wants the dog to feel like that...it clearly stopped 'working' for the dog , she had to 'look after herself' because you didn't and she has now up'd the anti and into another behaviour in order to protect herself, read "Anxiety in dogs can be displayed in 4 ways " https://k9aro.webs.com/behaviour.htm

Could she have been hurt and you haven't noticed, a cut on her paw or maybe something stuck in her teeth? She might be warning other dogs not to get too close because she's in pain and she's telling them to back off.

It's interesting that she's spayed because usually spayed females are not only uninteresting to other dogs (males) but they normally don't act up like this - it's usually the entire bitches who protect themselves, whether in season/coming in, or not.

I think you are going to have to be way more proactive with her and watch out for a pushy dog approaching.  She doesn't see you making any effort to protect her so she's now adopted an attack is the best form of defence attitude.   If she's had just ONE experience with an aggressive dog, this will stay with her and could well be what's causing her to be overly aggressive.

Unfortunately she's 'terrier' and terriers will often tend to be up for a fight.  And a lot of this may be down to her being itchy and miserable so not quite so up to calm meetings as before.   Your vet should be able to help with any grass allergy she may have (although I'd look at diet too - avoid anything that's cereal-based).

I think, for now at least, you may have to avoid dog-frequented places, and keep her on a lead.   If she has to retaliate, it's all too late.

Very often this sort of thing can be the result of you not watching body language enough and her feeling like you have left her to fend for herself over time, or even one specific meeting with the wrong dog.  Therefore she is now feeling she is mature and instead of taking any aggression from other dogs she is retaliating.    

She has to assert herself around strange dogs, since you have failed to be the assertive one.

Why do you let other dogs approach her? You even allow aggressive dogs to approach.

she feels lonely....