If I connect 2 USB 3 drives to a USB 3 hub, data will be transferred between them at high speed even if the hub is connected to a USB 2 PC?

I have two USB 3.0 hard drives and I want to transfer big files from one disk to the other one at high speed.

I want to buy an USB 3.0 hub for this purpose but the PC where I want to plug the hub has no USB 3.0 ports.

Will the data be transfer at high speed between the 2 USB 3.0 devices connected to the hub even if the PC where the hub is connected has only USB 2 ports?

Following the logic it should, but I want to be sure before buying the hub.

Thanks for your answers.

• David

No it won't work at USB 3.0 speeds. The data still has to go through the USB 2.0 port on the computer so the transfer will be limited to that port's speed

it would depend on what was doing the copying. it is highly unlikely to work the fast way as that would need to be built in to the two drives. Maybe if they were Hive's or something with an embedded os in it then it might be possible. Your ROUTER might have a usb 3 port which would then be possible that way.

No. USB is host-driven. The devices cannot communicate with each other directly.