Craola asked in PetsRodents · 2 months ago

My guinea pig has been chewing on my wall, will the paint on it hurt her sereosly? ?

I built a cage for my guinea pigs two years ago ware they have acses to my wall. It's never been a problem before, but one of then has chewed a fair amount of paint and the stuff that you put on the wall to make bumps. I covered the wall now, but I xont know if all that shes chewed has done sompthing to her.

• Nathan

Yes, most paint is toxic and non digestible so she will need to see a vet to ensure no serious damage has been done

Piggies have to chew to keep their teeth healthy, why they need a constant supply of hay. Chew logs and toys wouldn't hurt either.

Chewing and ingesting are different things. Stop the wall chewing and watch your piggies eating habits and if the poop seems abnormal or not pooping, you will need a vet. compaction is often fatal.

And by all means keep plastics and plastic bags out of their reach.

You need to take her to the vet, she might have a blockage in her tummy for all the paint and plaster she's eaten.

Do you keep them in the cage all the time? She might be bored and is trying to get out, or there could be something getting into the cage when you're not there like a mouse and it's upsetting her.

Best to take her to be checked over if your not sure, hope she"s okay, please keep us updated on how she is. Different paints have different chemical in them. So it"s hard to say the impact that it could have on her without a full list of the chemicals the paint is made from.

• patty

u could take her to vet

We have no way of knowing what's in the paint. Newer indoor paints are usually non-toxic, as they have to be safe for children. If you have an older house, it could contain lead.

Marilyn Manson has been an awesome friend