Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 3 weeks ago

If Earth and sun ceases to exist, will it effect milky way also in any way or milky way wouldn't care about losing Earth and sun?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

The Milky Way galaxy is not a sentient being, it just is a galaxy or collection of stars and planets, trying to imbue it with a form of sentience is what Disney does to amuse us all, good luck.

• 3 weeks ago

The milky way galaxy has 400 billion stars and even more planets. Our sun is just one tiny star. The galaxy would not be affected at all if earth and the sun were gone.

• 3 weeks ago

If Earth and sun ceased to exist 

it would not affect anything in the Milky Way. 

• 3 weeks ago

None, whatsoever

Attachment image
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Earth is a very small planet, orbiting a very small, common star - if we were to wink out of existence, I doubt it would be noticed at all. 

• 3 weeks ago

I wish I could ask Milky Way of that Question, as soon as I get the answer then will inform you.

• 3 weeks ago

If our solar system up and vanished it would have so little impact on the milky way it couldn't be measured. There is no gravitational bonding with our nearest neighbor star.

• Nyx
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

The galaxy as a whole, wouldn't even notice. Our little star system is only important to us.

• Sky
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Considering the sun is only one star out of an estimated 400 billion stars in the Milky Way, and the Earth is 1/333,000 the mass of the sun, if the two disappeared from existence the effect on the rest of the Milky Way would be so negligibly small the galaxy would not care one bit about losing them.  The change in gravity (which is the weakest of the four fundamental forces) would take about 4 years just to reach the next nearest star.  It would have the most effect on the other objects in the solar system (planets, moons, asteroids, comets) because with no central mass to orbit around they would go flinging off in various directions at various speeds.  Moons around other planets would stay with those planets, but our moon would be a lone projectile.

• 3 weeks ago

Sol and Earth produce gravity.  Gravity is basically the most powerful force in the universe.  If these two bodies suddenly ceased to be, then that shift in gravitational force would have effects across the galaxy.  And let's not forget that that would leave 7 planets, many micro planets and asteroids, along with over a hundred moons just jetting off into the universe to cause havoc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.