I regret dropping out of high school. Now what?

I dropped out at the end of grade 11 and I regret it so much. I will be 20 in a couple of months and the last couple of years have been a waste... how do I get rid of this horrible feeling like I have thrown my life away. I have gained 50lbs since high school. I work meaningless jobs a couple of times a week just to get by. I still live at home and have no saving.There isn’t anything that I want to do (such as a specific degree or career path) and I just feel stuck like I have no purpose.

I have faith in God, and I pray to Him, especially when I have concerns. You could try praying to Him as well. He can put your mind at ease.

• Erik

The first step is to get your GED, and then go from there.

First take your GED. Without at least a high school diploma you have little chance of making anything of yourself. Then maybe a short term certificate in a field you might like. Parents can't support you forever...you're going to have to work at some point.

You're only 19 - there's time to get your life back on track.

Enroll in school again. Get your GED and then go to a trade school and learn to do SOMETHING meaningful. If you don't, expect to be flipping burgers or in boring retail for the rest of your life, earning minimum wage. And if you continue to do that, you will never be able to afford your own place. The longer you put it off, the more you will regret it.

1. get your GED

2. find something you are interested in; if not GET INTO A TRADE!

3. Save up

4. Move out if you wish. 

living at home is fine tbh in my state it's almost mandatory cause the cost of living here versus what most of us can afford is INSANE.. our house is big though and i plan to inherit it some day like keep it in the family as it is in a prime location that is if i ever plan to live in this state down the line if not then meh i can buy my own house. 

if you don't find something that interests you then that is what will set you back. you need to find something you are passionate about this is what is going to push you in that career to make it bigger. LOTS of people do odd things for jobs. i have a friend who's dad collects old toys and sells ums ( they are collectibles btw like vintage toys ) many people today make money off youtube by posting vids and getting viewers or twitch but you need to build your fan base and need lots of views to make it worth your time. 

• Bort

The first thing you should do if you haven't done it already is get your GED. Decent jobs are hard enough to get. You're not even going to get a decent job let alone a good one without having a GED.

If you have your GED already the next step is kicking your own self esteem in the rear real hard, getting yourself focussed, and deciding what kind of career you would like to get in to. No, my next thing isn't going to be saying 'then go to college'. A degree is not required to get a decent job. Experience and skill is what does that.

Figure out what you want to do as a profession / career and start applying for entry level positions in those fields or processes.

• martin

First take the GED, sometimes now called the HiSet exam. This will establish your "high school equivalency" which is acceptable at a community college, and many 4-year colleges too. Community colleges are cheap. Study hard and take courses transferable to a 4-year college. Try to have your Bachelors degree within 6 years from now. Keep working part-time all along.

other than that, everything is great.

• NA

You can at least try to get a GED to show that you completed high school.  This puts your education credentials a bit higher than no diploma at all when you apply for a new job.