Double health insurance and primary versus secondary?

Ok, so I’m still on my parents insurance which is a HMO with a very small in network. Since I live outside that network, I also got a high deductible low premium insurance through my work.

Through google I’ve seen that my work place insurance is meant to be my primary and my parents my secondary. 

I’m planning to get a surgery done next year. My plan was to go through my parents insurance bc it’s a $0 deductible. I’d have to fly home for it but then I’d only have to pay a $150 copay. 

My parents and workplace have completely different networks. Is it ok for me to go through my parents insurance without ever billing my workplace’s insurance? If I go through my workplace, I’d be responsible for the $2500 deductible so I’m trying to avoid that. 

This is in the USA btw

Favorite Answer

Start by talk with the benefits administrator at your work and calling your work insurance company.  Unfortunately, you don't get to pick and see-saw back and forth based on what is best for you.  If you've designated your work insurance as.  your primary insurance, your parent's insurance will probably require you to submit your bills to your primary carrier first.  Your secondary insurance (Parent's HMO) will only cover what is left.  

Since this could be a major expense, you should discuss this with the insurance companies before you book your surgery.

• Blah
      3 weeks agoReport

Thanks. I reached out to insurance via email. Do you know, if I have to bill my work insurance first will I be responsible for paying that deductible out of pocket + the 35% of the total cost, or can I bill all of that to my parents? 

• martin

Yes, go through your parents insurance. Between both of those insurance companies, they should cover the whole bill.

You need to ask this question to the insurance companies or look at the contracts..  You don't get to pick and choose.  Neither one is going to pay anything if they can legally get a way with it.