What is your favorite Nirvana album?

• Andrew
    Favorite Answer

As cliche as it is, I've got to go with "Nevermind." I think most people would, for a lot of different reasons. 

The debut was actually pretty strong. There are some good songs on there, there's a lot of energy, it showed a lot of promise, but it's obvious that they had a lot of growing and developing to do as musicians. And by the next record, they were infinitely better songwriters, the production was leagues better, and they had just all around found their footing as a band. 

"Nevermind" is one of those records that you can't just look at in terms of the musical aspect. I think that the songs are strong. I love the vibe. But I think that "Nevermind" also encapsulates not only the essence of what Nirvana was all about, but also sums up the entire movement. It's THE record that stands as the shining example of what was best about the Seattle Grunge Rock scene. I mean, it's full of catchy songs with attitude, it's got that watered down punk rock vibe to it mixed with this Americana folk type feel. It's garage rock being played by a bunch of dudes in T-shirts and ripped jeans and flannel shirts who are walking around like that unironically because they're from this part of the world that churns out lumberjacks and fishermen and they were rebelling against this "cut your hair, take a shower and get a job" type mentality that the people around them had. 

I can't think of any band since The Beach Boys that really hit home with their audience the way Nirvana did. You're thinking "What the feck? Did Old Andy really just compare Nirvana to The Beach Boys?" Yes. Yes he did. And you know why? Because of their appeal, their staying power and also because of their talent. Of course Kurt Cobain couldn't hold a candle to Brian Wilson, but you know what? He didn't need to. Nirvana songs weren't about that. And for all the simplicity inherent in Nirvana's music, I defy anybody to write songs that catchy and that groovy whilst remaining that simplistic. There was real beauty in the simplicity of what they did. "Nevermind" is probably one of the top 5 American rock albums of all time that was released in the last 50 years, and probably top 3 if we're talking about the last 30 years. I mean what comes anywhere close to it? I'd say that only Guns 'n Roses' "Appetite For Destruction" could even begin to compare in terms of how groundbreaking it was and how much it completely defined an entire era. "Nevermind" is a genius record in every way. There's not a dud to be found on the monster. 

"In Utero" was something that just had to happen. There was no way that they were going to make another "Nevermind" so they had to take things in another direction. They were shooting for another angle - songs with more complex elements, a deeper sense of meaning, getting more experimental in terms of recording techniques, and you know what? It sounds like that. They were trying too hard and they missed the mark. There are some good songs there, but it lacks the raw edginess that "Bleach" had and it lacks the charm and the magic that "Nevermind" had. "In Utero" sounds like they went out of their way to prove that they were capable of progressing as artists, but although they managed to do that and many critics felt that it was their most accomplished record, it was also their most forgettable. Why? Because they were trying to be different instead of trying to be who they were. "In Utero" is my least favourite Nirvana record. 

In all honesty, I know it's not a proper record, but I'd put "Incesticide" right below "Nevermind" if you'd be willing to let it slide that it's not a proper studio album that was recorded in a single go. The material is great. It's got a great feel to it. I can always go back and listen to it. And some of those songs never made it onto a record, so the EP is the only place you can hear them, that's why to me it's kind of an honorary Nirvana record. 

So I'm going to rank them:

#1: "Nevermind"

#2: "Insesticide" (if you'll allow it)

#3: "Bleach"

#4: "In Utero"  

Bleach and In Utero

• WUWR

I'm partial to In Utero, personally. It just kind of felt like the "leveled up" from a songwriting and construction aspect. I enjoy them all though.

unplugged in new york

never had one  ……..

From The Muddy Banks Of Wishka - A sonically violent live record that takes performances recorded between 1989 and 1994. 

The band sounds gloriously destructive. As if they are going crash and burn at any moment. And its glorious. 

I highly recommend this album for anyone who has grown tired of the studio albums. 

Source(s): nothing

In Utero is my favorite.

Nevermind is the only one I've listened to. I just remembered, I still have that on cassette somewhere.

'Nevermind' is the only one I'm that familiar with.