Is living in Canada cheaper than the US?

I am wanting to move to either Montreal or Calgary after I finish college because I am sick of the USA but I was wondering if it is cheaper to live there? Not just cheaper as in cost of housing but also cost of food, utilities, and other essentials. Mainly looking for answers from Canadians who have experienced living there and know what it's like. Thank you!

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

It is usually the opposite.

• 2 weeks ago

That depends on where in Canada you want to be. Housing is quite costly in most Canadian cities. Toronto and Vancouver are up there with San Francisco in terms of housing costs.

Your more imminent issue is being accepted as an immigrant to Canada. Until you are accepted, and it's not an automatic Yes for American applicants, costs up herefor you don't really matter.

• sam
    Lv 6
    2 weeks ago

being an american citizen is not special to move to Canada. You will need to show why you are special to Canada. For example a PhD in engineering and a job offer. Cost of living is higher in Montreal, and with more taxes than Calgary. It is generally more expensive to live in Canada than USA.

• 3 weeks ago

What makes you think Canada wants you?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

You may have some trouble getting accepted as an immigrant to Canada, unless your time in college was devoted to a professional qualification and placement.

Check the requirements for immigration to Canada below. In the meantime, you may find local newspapers informative. Many are posted online.

How's your French, btw? You would be limited in Montreal without excellent French.

• 3 weeks ago

Overall, it isn't cheaper. Some things in Canada cost more, some cost less, but on the whole Canadians and Americans have a very similar standard of living and spend about the same portion of their earnings on things they have to buy. Compared to New York or San Francisco, Montreal and Calgary are cheap to live in but they are also cheap compared to Toronto and Vancouver. Compared to a small town in Mississippi. Calgary and Montreal would be expensive, and there are cheaper places to live in Canada than those two.

Here's the thing: with a few exceptions, places that are cheaper to live in also have fewer jobs that pay well, and some jobs pay less there than they do in a more expensive place. The biggest determinant of cost of living, unless maybe you have eight children and a huge grocery bill, is the cost of housing. One reason why some places are a lot cheaper than others is that there isn't much well-paid work in that area which means not many people want to move there and the ones who already live there aren't going to pay high prices for houses.

You also need to know that you can't just move to Canada because you want to. You have to apply, qualify, and wait to be accepted. 

• 3 weeks ago

The cost of living in America varies a lot. Coastal cities in California tend to be very expensive. NYC, Chicago, and Boston are also probably more expensive than most of Canada. West Virginia and Idaho have much lower cost of living.

• 3 weeks ago

i would go visit there and then you'll know

• 3 weeks ago

"because I am sick of the USA"

Not a valid reasoning for a "college student". Thank you!

• Anonymous
      Lv 5
      3 weeks agoReport

Yes it is. The USA is headed in a downward spiral and I don't want any part of it

• 3 weeks ago

Canada Is more expensive

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.