How much Tylenol can I take?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Jim
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

An adult can take up to 4000mg a day for up to 10 days straight. It says this on the box.  Acetaminophen, unlike aspirin, isn't meant to be used long term. That can result in liver damage.

• 3 weeks ago

In an adult with a healthy liver, a total of 4000 mg. a day, from all sources.

• 3 weeks ago

Hi

I am a current pharmacy student.

This a great question to ask as Tylenol can cause liver damage in high dose.

Depending on strength of Tylenol the max # of pills can change. Thus, paying more attention to the dose (in grams) is easier to follow to prevent Tylenol overdose. 

Maximum Tylenol recommended by FDA is 3g (3,000mg), however depending on your healthcare provider the max can be up to 4g (4,000mg). Here are some example on how you can take it. 

- Tylenol regular strength: 650 mg every 4 to 6 hours (maximum daily dose: 3250 mg)

- Tylenol extra strength: 1000 mg every 6 hours (maximum daily dose: 3000 mg)

- Tylenol extended-release: 1300 mg every 8 hours (maximum daily dose: 3900 mg daily)

Reading the drug label is always helpful to find more information about the drug.

If you are interested in more information, the link below tells more about Tylenol such as regular alcohol use can increase unintentional Tylenol overdose. 

Poison control: https://www.poison.org/articles/2009-dec/acetamino...

I hope you feel better. Thanks 

- Pharmacy student 

• 4 weeks ago

As much as you want but if you are half way intelligent you will follow instructions on the bottle.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Friend Tylenol can be combined with ibuprofen to get a much better pain-killing effect. You can do way more good for yourself by taking one ibuprofen and one Tylenol rather than taking 4 Tylenol like some people do.

• 4 weeks ago

i would ask your doctor or a pharmacist this question

Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Read dose instructions on the label

• 4 weeks ago

How much you feel is right for you

• Jay
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

as much as you own

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.