Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 4 weeks ago

If I'm 6% Spanish, can I call myself Hispanic?

• 6 days ago

According to the dictionary, the term Hispanic technically can refer to those in Spain but I they go around identifying themselves as Hispanic but rather mostly as Spaniards. I also don't think that those in Latin America refer to themselves as Hispanic in general, more so as whatever country they're from, ex Peruvian, Mexican, Argentinian, etc.

The Spanish word Hispano, as far as I'm aware, is typically translated into the English word Hispanic.

Here in the USA it's identified as a sociocultural term and it is typically used to identify people who live in the USA but have origins in Spanish speaking countries in Latin America. That usage seems to have come from a need to differentiate that population statistically so they can be counted distinctly and any needs specific to them addressed. An article I read said that people living in the USA but with origins from Latin America used to be lumped together using the term Mexican American and people were getting tired of that.

I go along with some of the others who say you can call yourself what you want. If you seek to use it to achieve any type of minority status though, I'd consult a lawyer. Definitely don't use it when running for political office unless consulting experts. Look at what happened to Elizabeth Warren. Her DNA even came back with Native American DNA and they're still calling her a liar.

Also be aware that many US Hispanic youth are now using the term Latinx, instead of Hispanic, Latino, and Latina, which yeah, I know it sounds abrupt and looks bizarre. 

In the U.S. there is no legal requirement; you can call yourself whatever you consider yourself. No proof or percentage necessary.

Is it from Spain or South America?

• hi

Where were you raised ? What's your native language? I don't think you being 6 percent or 80 percent Spanish says anything about you actually being hispanic . Consider black people from Ecuador ..Probably they have zero Spanish blood in them however they are hispanic because their native language is spanish, their country was colonized by spaniards, their country's architecture is Spaniard ..Their country is very linked to Spain.

• Zirp

Percentages don't mean squat.

Were you raised in Spanish, as in have you spoken Spanish ever since you could talk?  If so , you are hispanic

If you don't speak Spanish, you are NOT hispanic

Firstly no, 6% is almost nothing. 

But even better, why don't you stop being obsessed about race? Leave that to whiny SJWs. What matters is your character. An obsession with group identity and tribalism over personal responsibility is the calling card of a failure. Don't be like them.

i dont see why not

• John3 weeks agoReport

They never asked whether they would actually BE Hispanic.  Only whether or not they could say they were.  They could say they're half Bulgarian and half Centaur if they wanted.  Wouldn't make it so.

Anyone who self identifies as Hispanic can call themselves Hispanic.

• .

You can call yourself anything you want, it is fine with me.

you can call yourself spicspanic

• hi
      4 weeks agoReport

Does he even speak Spanish ? Please use common sense ..By the way I find hard to believe that we are in 2019 and we STILL have people who think that people of certain races are "inferior ".