Yankees2017 asked in SportsBaseball · 4 weeks ago

What do you think of my idea for punishments for the Astros sign stealing scandal?

AJ Hinch - Banned for life.

Alex Cintron - 85 game ban.

Alex Bregman- 65 game ban.

Altuve, Springer, Correa - 50 game ban.

Any scout, coach, or front office executive involved - banned for life

And......

ALL GAMES ON THE ASTROS’ 2020 SCHEDULE TO BE PLAYED ON THE ROAD!!!!!!

And if they end up reaching the postseason, AUTOMATIC ELIMINATION!!!!!!

How this would work:

If they win the AL West, the 2nd place team gets the Division Title

If they’re the 1st wild card team, the 2nd and 3rd place team play in the Wild Card game

If they’re the 2nd Wild Card team, the 1st and 3rd place team play in the Wild Card game

• Andy

Ideally they should just strip the 2017 Houston Astros AL Division, ALCS and WS titles. 

Gotta get realistic. What your suggesting is going overboard. As much as I would like to see them get what your suggesting for the Yankees sake, its not going to be nearly that bad.  A few fines, both player & team, and some draft picks takin away. Along with a specified amount of team probation time.

• Gregg

Ban the team for a whole season, at least.  Fine the team in the millions. Award the World Series Trophy to the Los Angeles Dodgers.  I'm hoping the MLB President has more than two baseballs to do this.

Source(s): Edit 1. My suggestion assumes that the team is found guilty after all investigations are complete.

I think that determining punishment when they've barely started an investigation is presumptuous. I say we let the MLB investigate and find the facts before we jump to conclusions about who should serve what suspension/punishment.

I also think the MLB (like all pro sports) is a business and money will be the ultimate factor in any discipline against the team itself. They're not going to have a team play out a season with a predetermined result that they can't make the playoffs - it would be bad for business.Likewise I doubt they would make them play all games on the road when they have some of the best attendance numbers. This would also create problems of unbalanced schedules, as other teams would have to have extra home games and it would screw up travel schedules for both the Astros and the teams that have to travel home to play them during the middle of a road trip.

I think stripping their title, taking away draft picks, and a heft fine are more likely.

Hate to say it but your suggestion is pretty over the top and stupid.

• Bob

I would go with none of your suggestions

I would go along with them losing draft picks for the next two or three drafts.

• David

Just what I would expect from an angry Yankees fan.

Same punishment the Yankees got for Brian McNamee and the Mitchell Report. 

They may lose a draft pick and some international bonus pool money. That's about it.