About lack of representation in media/Hollywood?

I see people complain about not seeing dark skinned/mono racial black people in Hollywood aka minorities that fit the stereotype of African Americans. People complain that biracial/light skinned actors get all the black roles (e.g. Zendaya, Halle Berry, Zoe Saldana, Dwayne Johnson,  etc). I get that it seems like racially ambiguous actors are more popular than monoracial black actors. On the other side (playing devil's advocate) I wonder if Hollywood and the media wants to showcase 'different' and 'atypical' actors that don't fit the mold. The stereotypical African American look (Octavia Spencer, Denzel Washington) we see all the time in everyday life. Maybe Hollywood wants to show a different non standard African American. Someone like Zendaya we rarely see on the street. Not saying that biracials are automatically prettier or superior. But rather they are different and stand out from a monoracial black person. It's the same reason why they don't show obese or curvy actors in movies/TV often. The average person is overweight. But Hollywood wants to show non average/non standard women who look like models. 

4 Answers

Relevance
  • reme_1
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

There are a number of dark skinned black Americans in Hollywood. Maybe not a many as there could be but it wasn't long ago we had no Asians, no native Americans, no handicapped, no deaf, etc.

• 4 weeks ago

A possibility is that most actors are U.S. American and partially mixed (the average African-American is about 20% European). Many of these "biracials" identify as black.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Sôrry,

This sounds like more lft wing bs whining

to me & ther ar loads of dark skinnd flks

in hollywood just go to the movies & see!

. . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . .

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Black women look like butchers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.