List 3 WAN technologies that use a cloud?

List 3 WAN technologies that use a cloud.

• BigE

I am assuming this is more 3 services that use cloud, supplanting what was a WAN technology, like Saas or file sharing. Yes, poor question.

The question doesn't make sense.

WAN = Wide Area Network, which is the opposite of a Local Area Network.  LAN stays inside a building.  WAN is used to connect LANs together across a distance, typically using a WAN technology.  WAN technologies can be Point to Point Protocol (PPP), Frame Relay, MPLS, SONET, ATM, HDLC....but Ethernet is now a WAN technology too.  Ethernet over fiber optic.

Cloud = Storage and Compute resources that exist in a data center, which are typically shared and offered as a service.  Cloud utilizes Internet Protocol (IP).

When you say cloud I automatically think of services like iCloud or AWS or Google Cloud. 

A WAN technology is what is used to connect to a cloud.  

WAN technologies are classified as point to point or point to multipoint.  You might consider point to multipoint WANs as being a cloud?  If so, point to multipoint WAN technologies are Frame Relay, MPLS, SONET and ATM.

These may or may not be "cloud" technologies depending on the specifics of implementation.  Cloud is usually defined as on demand computing from a service provider, but the definition is murky as hell and constantly changing.

The following WAN technologies can be defined as "cloudish".

1. Frame Relay

2. MPLS

3. SD-WAN (only some implementations, SD-WAN has ALOT of flavors, Bigleaf comes to mind for the flavor I'm thinking of, Citrix on the other hand, yeah no)

Don't take my answer to heart though, as quite frankly--different people have different definitions of this stuff.  The whole industry is whack. (yay)

• Jay

This is a Q&A site.

• Maybe you would like it better if I reworded it to: What are 3 WAN technologies that use a cloud?