Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 3 weeks ago

Colon cancer at 19??

Hey everyone, for the past year i’ve been having some gastrointestinal problems. last year, my first year in college, i went through a bad few weeks of constipation and bleeding when i went to the bathroom. they ran a fecal occult blood test and it was negative. my mom has celiac disease and her mom has diverticulitis so they ran a celiac test on me but it was negative. i’ve been having abdominal cramps/pain for a while now and i have alternating constipation and diarrhea (many times in the same day). i was going to have a colonoscopy done but my parents think that it would be ridiculous to get one done because i’m only 19. could this be due to my diet in college (lots of fast food) and my family history of stomach problems or could it possibly be colon cancer? i’m very worried about it!

• 6 days ago

If you sit a lot that could be the cause of constipation. Some times i have to make myself have diarrhea to get the constipation out. I can eat a lot of chocolate and then drink a coke and it will make my stomach feel as though it is turning over inside and pressure builds and wham I better be on a commode. My oldest son had/has Crohn's but I don't think he ever had problems with constipation, it was always diarrhea. They did a scope on him and they punched a hole in his rectum but they told him he caused it by putting suppostories in his rectum the wrong way, RIGHT. I won't let anyone do that to me. They have a way of checking your stool, you ever see that commercial on tv, I did that. I don't know anything about IBS. Oh my chocolate is home made, not store bought.

If you are concerned about your health, see a doctor.

• LAN

Only an utter idiot would assume they had any cancer at your age.   This is easily proven by the fact that you ask here rather than seeing a doctor if you actually believed you had cancer.

in my opinion you have a gluten problem

youre completely crazy. impossible to have colon cancer at 19. that's a disease for a 70 year old

• Pippin
      3 weeks agoReport

Not completely impossible -- but very rare. And people can and do get it earlier than 70.

• martin

Doctors should have discovered cancer by now, if it was there. Your diet may be the thing causing all the trouble. There are nutritionists who can advise you. Also, see a doctor for these problems, and try different opinions.

you might not have cancer but i would get one done anyways just to make sure

Your Primary Care Physician (PCP) should be consulted first.

It is unlikely you have the Big CANCER, more likely your diet and "Sports" have the cause.  Too much breads can cause severe constipation (ever hear of the punishment of bread & water).

Start with a Diet Change.  Consult with a Licensed dietitian and your PCP.

You might actually have Stomach Ulcer.

There are too many things going on here to be sorted out easily.

It sounds like your gut lining is inflamed. If you take high strength Aloe Vera tablets (Aloe Pura brand is OK) some of the symptoms could be reduced for you. But what is the cause of this inflammation? Internal parasites (can be cyclical), Dairy Allergy, Wheat Allergy, IBS, Crohns etc? You can't start dealing with all of these simultaneously, so first why not cut out the Dairy for as week (you could have oat milk instead). If no better then cut out the wheat for a week.

Why don't you start steaming some Spinach, it only takes 3 minutes and can even be done in a microwave dish. Eating broccoli might help you too, this only takes 8 minutes in a steamer. At least try to cut out half of that bad fast food.

Whether to have the colonoscopy? You won't enjoy that procedure one bit but couldn't it rule out some of your fears?

See your doctor if you have a health issue which is troubling you.

Always regard social media/internet advice as anecdotal only.

Colon cancer at your age is rare.  Not impossible, but certainly rare.  Having major GI issues because you eat a crappy diet is not rare.  I'd suggest you clean up your diet  and see if your symptoms change before undergoing general anesthesia and a colonoscopy.  

You'd probably be well suited to a paleo or keto diet.  One that eliminates gluten and other lectins along with items that increase inflammation and kill off good gut bacteria.  Do yourself a favor:  read or listen to The Plant Paradox by Dr. Steven Gundry, The Bulletproof Diet by Dave Asprey, and The Keto Reset Diet by Mark Sisson.  Try the Keto Intensive Care diet in Gundry's book for a month and see if a lot of your issues resolve.  

You should probably also make an appointment six months out to see a gastroenterologist to review your symptoms and determine next steps.  

• Avery3 weeks agoReport

Thank you so much! One thing that I noticed is that when I was home for the summer (and eating a much better diet and less fast food), most of my symptoms went away, and now that I’ve been in school for a few months, my symptoms are back!