Why do many new vehicles have plastic fronts, so the car shops will make more money from accidents?

• zipper

The plastic makes the car look nicer, is lighter than metal; and just in case no one told you: YOUR NOT SUPPOSE TO HAVE ACCIDENTS. Oh they also help reduce the shock to the people in the car when there is an accident!   OOOOOPSE!

But when I try to sell it (I'll sell privately because I'll get more than if I tried to ... or a reputable body shop and had it fixed, those doors are as good as new – by no ... So what does a vehicle history report from Carproof or Carfax – which ... and some details of the nature of the damage/incident," Varkey said.

Car companies do what ever than to save weight in cars to increase their fuel economy. Here's a good one for you. I'm sure you're aware what plastic headlights cost. There was a time when simple round and rectangular ones were made of glass and cost $5.00 to replace. There was never a need to re-polish the outer lenses. What happened was when car companies changed the shape of the headlights to more aerodynamic designs, it became impossible for glass companies to drop a gob of molten glass that would conform to the new shapes in the molds. Plastic is lighter than glass.

Lighter, cheaper to produce

Source(s): Lighter, cheaper to produce

It's all to make cars lighter and more fuel efficient because of federal fuel mileage requirements. If it wasn't for the EPA requirements we would still have chrome steel bumpers and giant Cadillacs all over the place. (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

Plastic is lighter, cheaper, and easier to mold into more elaborate and/or aerodynamic shapes than metal.  Vehicle manufacturers aren't 'in league' with body shops to get 'more money' from accidents - and in reality it can sometimes be *cheaper* to replace a broken plastic piece than it would to replace (or bang out, finish, and paint) a metal part.

Modern cars also have 'crumple points' which are intentional weaknesses in the front (and sometime rear) end of the vehicle that allow it to absorb some of the impact and reduce the stress on the driver/passengers - so they can end up being very expensive to fix (often to the point where insurance will 'total' one - even after only a minor impact).

The biggest problem I have with the way modern cars implement plastic is when the entire front end is 'bolted' together with plastic fasteners, and the tiniest impact (such as bumping the increasing low front-end of the car into a curb or something) can cause a cascading failure of the entire front end.  I see a lot of cars with the front bumper, lower skirt, wheel wells, and other plastic front-end bits dangling and/or falling off because rather than each being bolted to the body individually, they are only connected to each other.

If the owner knew to do some minor fixes, they can catch it before the whole thing starts to fall apart.  I put my neighbors VW Beetle's front skirt that was dangling off back on with a couple of metal drywall anchors (the kind you use to hang heavier pictures/mirrors, etc. - they make excellent replacements for the crappy plastic fasteners that most cars come assembled with.

• Anon3 weeks agoReport

"vehicle manufacturers aren't 'in league' with body shops to get 'more money' from accidents - and in reality it can sometimes be *cheaper* to replace a broken plastic piece than it would to replace (or bang out, finish, and paint)  " 

cheaper to make and produce.

• don r

It saves weight, is simpler to form and crushes in a way that saves occupants from absorbing the impact as much during a crash.

Plastic weighs less than metal and ARBITRARY fuel economy standards can only be met but cutting weight.

• JetDoc

They have plastic parts because plastic is cheaper and weighs less than steel. The manufacturer needs to use lighter weight parts so they can make lighter weight cars to meet the Government's mandates on fuel economy.