Why would my employer expect me to get a doctor's note to return to work when I'm feeling better?

I went home from my job sick the other day, then I missed the next 2 days with the flu.  Now my employer wants a doctor's note.  I told them I was feeling well enough to return yesterday but they wouldn't let me because I didn't have a note.  My doctor's clinic is closed on the weekend so I can't even call for an appointment until tomorrow.  This isn't a huge city so we don't have big city resources available.  I'm told if I want to keep my job, I will have to drive 50 miles to an Urgent care Monday and pay them $160 just to get a stupid note.  Do you think my employer will even accept the note since I didn't see a doctor when I was sick?   I'm feeling much better now so I can't expect the doctor to say I was sick. 

Just how did they expect me to see a doctor on the weekend?  I haven't been on the job long enough to get insurance so if I have to go to Urgent Care, I have to pay the full amount myself and I can't afford that.  Since I only got in one full day of work and one partial day, my paycheck is going to take a major hit.  My parents said if I was really sick they would loan me the money to see a doctor but they said $160 just to get a note is out of the question.

• Bruce
    Favorite Answer

There are two reasons. First, to reduce people who call in sick excessively. 

Second, to protect themselves. If you come back and are still sick, you can spread it to others. If you are injured and come back too early, you could aggravate the injury at work and they would be on the hook for Worker's Comp. 

First you DID NOT have the flu and personally just from your post I do not even believe you were sick.  

As an employer I demand notes to protect myself from employees trying to sue me for allowing them back when sick.

And dear the flu can last 1 or even 2 weeks until you feel well enough to work.  The TRUE flu knocks you flat on your backside for at least a week!

• PAMELA

If you did not give them a note when you went sick you do not have to give one to go back to work, and by the way flu lasts much longer than 2 days.

I think the doctor's note is to show that you really were sick.

There are some urgent care places that are open on weekends.

But if you went home one day and were sick the next 2 days, and you're feeling better on Sunday, that means you were already sick on Friday. So you could have gone to the doctor (or urgent care) before the weekend.

Friend if you had to take off time from work because of an illness you're probably protected by the family medical leave act. Contact the wage and hour division. Of your state. You really ought to have insurance with there being the free insurance that Obama put into place. If the job means anything to you at all then get yourself an examination at a doctor. tell the doctor that your employer requires a clean bill of health to return to work. then when wage and hour division contacts you you can let them know that your employer wanted you to have proof that you were safe to return to work they'll decide if your due any reimbursement from your employer and contact him on your behalf. On the other hand if you've only worked a couple of days. And this job doesn't mean anything to you tell your employer you can't afford to go to the doctor so you'll take your last paycheck and Sika job elsewhere.

• STEVEN F
      4 weeks agoReport

1. FMLA doesn't apply to individual sick days.
      2.. Even when it does apply, you CAN be fired for not providing medical documentation.

i would just get the note if you want to keep your job

You can go to a walk in clinic ANY DAY.

If you were ill enough to need multiple days off, it is entirely reasonable to requires a medical professional to confirm you are not contagious before allowing you around other employees.

You can probably just call the doctor's office and ask them to fax a note. That said, the flu lasts more than 2 days, and maybe your boss doesn't want you coming back to work, while still contagious and causing more employees to get sick and have to miss work.

• Maxi

Flu lasts for 2 weeks not 2 days so you certainly didn't have flu and your employer knows this and expects you to get a fit for work note...so if you want to keep your job you do as they ask...and stop taking days off pretending you have flu as the employer knows that is a lie

Who cares. Just get the note,and get back to work before they figure out they don't need you.