Why don't some minimum wage workers move up the ladder?

I don't get how some people stay working as a cashier for 10 years in a row. You're supposed to move up, to supervisor to assistant manager and then finally, manager.

While the word motivation might seem harsh it's perfect fit for your answer... Some people don't have a good understanding or intellectual push necessary to move up or ahead in life. That may or may not be a bad thing, as an example, some folks are just satisfied and comfortable with the sameness of life or possibly there could be family social issues. It's almost always up to the individual! 

Most people

Are happy where they are if left alone 

Some people are happy staying where they are, or the simple fact is that some people are not meant to rise above a certain level.

Some people have no motivation...some are just there for the paycheck and don't want, need or expect anything better.  

maybe because some of them are happy with where they are or others are just average working knowledge.

https://anamonicaarguzon.wixsite.com/website

I was a minimum wage worker. There was no way up, for me!!! If you want to go up then you are going to have to earn that position.

I tried doing a cashier's job, and I just could not do it, so not everyone can do it. I have done other things that suited me more, and it was minimum wage paying, but it was not working as a cashier. I had jobs that suited me more than a cashier's job, and the opportunities were better.

When I was working a minimum wage paying job, I didn't expect to move up. Instead I got more responsibilities, and I learned a lot from the job that I had.

• Amy

Obviously that isn't true. There are a lot more cashiers than managers. There aren't enough management jobs for every cashier to become a manager.

That might work in a location where the population is rapidly increasing, so the number of stores is increasing and the number of entry-level workers exceeds the number of veteran workers. But it certainly isn't true in a post-industrial nation with a low birthrate and low immigration rate.

• Judy

Some don't have the skills, some don't want the aggravation. 'You're supposed to,,,?' who says? And btw, there are a lot more lower level jobs - EVERYONE can't move up.

Some don't want the aggravation of being a manager in store because retail is always horrible.😉

• .

Some people like where they are, so they stay there.