Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 3 weeks ago

Why is using a belt considered child abuse nowadays?

Whenever I discipline my son, I normally use a belt. I find it more effective than using a shoe or a slipper for instance. Back in my days, people used to do it all the time.

• 6 hours ago

Because obviously if a belt is misused it can cause severe damage.

Yes. "Nowadays", people use them fists of theirs. That's what I do to my son. He doesn't screw our daughter anymore. Power of boomers.

Don't hit your kids. It causes severe psychological damage, and you're also teaching your kid that violence is the answer. Please, don't make another kid go through what I've gone through.

I don't know who you are, pal, but has it ever entered your head to stop and THINK about the messages you are sending to your son every time you HIT HIM? I mean really THINK about it? Because I suspect that if you ever really THOUGHT about what you are doing and the messages you're sending, not to mention the LESSONS you are teaching your son when you hit him, you'd soon stop the behavior.

When adults hit kids the way you have been doing with your son, they are sending the child a "do as I SAY but NOT as I DO" message to the child. If that message sounds hypocritical to YOU, just reading it, then imagine for a second how your SON must feel to be on the receiving end of it. If you think even for a SECOND that he doesn't RESENT being sent such a message, THINK AGAIN. Of course he does. And SO WOULD YOU, if the situation were reversed and YOU were the one on the receiving end of such abuse- and it IS ABUSE, as ALL physical punishments are. Quite apart from this, however, there are OTHER lessons you are teaching your son by using a belt on him. One of the worst of these is that it's OKAY to be violent and aggressive towards anyone he doesn't like. You're also teaching him that the best way to solve a problem with someone is to haul off and slug them one- as if that will somehow magically improve the situation. On top of this, you're behaving in a VERY emotionally IMMATURE way yourself when you hit him. If he were an adult, you wouldn't dare hit him, because one, he could defend himself, and TWO, you could easily end up facing serious legal consequences for it. Your son is aware of at least some of these things, regardless of his age. Being young doesn't mean a child is STUPID.

There are better ways-much better ways- to solve problems and impose discipline than resorting to physical punishments like spanking or belting. Spanking can be compared to abortion in some ways, in that it's something that should be safe, legal, and VERY, VERY, RARELY performed. And when it IS DONE, it should NEVER be done when you are angry or otherwise upset. You also should NOT BE doing it ALONE, even if you are a single parent. The key to discipline isn't punishment, it's consistency and having clear, enforceable, reasonable, AGE APPROPRIATE expectations and rules for your son's behavior. When was the last time you talked to your son's teacher(s) at school? Have you met your son's friends? Do you know their parents? These are the people who spend the most time with your son, and who have the greatest influences on him. You could learn a lot by getting to know them, and it might give you some insights on ways to correct  your son's behavior without resorting to belting him. Likewise, how long has it been since you had some quality time alone with your son? Is there a sport, hobby, etc, that you could share?

Above all, however, if you really want to improve your son's behavior, you need to learn to look at the world from HIS perspective and point of view, rather than your OWN. Kids like him exist in an "immediate" world. The distant future is a gray area to most of them. They want to know how to get along and survive right now, not tomorrow, next week, next month, etc. You also need to understand that for kids of a certain age, reputation and "fitting in" can quite literally mean the difference between life and death. This drive to be accepted by one's peer group is what makes kids vulnerable to peer pressure. We all want to be part of a group and to be loved and accepted by the people around us. That's human nature. But it's often not easy to gain the trust, respect, and admiration of those around us. Even adults have problems with this- and part of your job as a parent is to teach your son the skills he will need to gain acceptance by others. You can't do that by hitting him and showing him that it's okay to be aggressive and mean to other people.

Source(s): Someone who has been there.
  • sarah

Because the world is going to Hell in a handbasket. Personally, I was whooped with a belt several times as a kid (as were most of the people I know), and I turned out just fine. I don't resent my parents for it, I THANK them for teaching me right from wrong and letting me know that actions have consequences. I don't think it should be the first resort (unless they get caught shoplifting or something more serious like that), but if other methods of discipline fail (saying no, swatting their butt with a hand, grounding, etc.), then by all means, light that *** up.

• Starlight 1
      2 weeks agoReport

Precisely, Carrosh. The only thing that kids learn from being hit is that it's okay to hit other people and solve problems by being aggressive and violent. They don't learn right from wrong. Being hit too many times can teach a kid to hate his or her abuser.

• edward

Because one kid complained about it once. And now we raise soft kids, weak kids who are al too damn sensitive to what the real world has out there. We have 30 year olds living at home for a reason, they can’t handle the real world!

A trolling we will go, a trolling we will go

Heigh ho, the dairy-o, a trolling we will go

• denise

Yes, we used to get 'belted' when we were kids.

Nowadays its called abuse!

If you smack your kid in the supermarket, your'e likely to get reported!

• Brian

Back in your day, everyone thought that the world was flat, too.

People used a belt because a belt was used on them. And their parents did it because the grandparents used a belt. And so on back through the generations. But there's more sharing of knowledge today than there used to be and we've learned that brutality toward our children only begets anger and brutality. There's a better way and you have to find it.