If I wanted to learn Linux, which version of Linux should I learn?

There are many different versions of Linux, such as Redhat, Kubuntu, etc.

1. If I wanted to learn Linux, should I learn the most widely used version or the least widely used version?

2. Whatever the answer to #1 is, why?

3. Whatever the answer to #1 is, which version of Linux is that?

• Scott

Redhat is probably the flavor you'd encounter most in the business world. Second would probably be SuSe. In reality, if you know one, you can pretty much handle any: Redhat, SuSe, Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS etc. They are all very similar, the only major difference might be the proprietary GUI tools, but command line is usually the same.

Source(s): I've been a linux admin for over 20 years.
  • keerok

Mint is the closest to windows but I prefer Fedora more for its power.

Redhat is generally meant for enterprise users, not regular users. I suppose you can use it if you really want, but its probably not the best choice to learn Linux on.

Linux Mint is generally recommended for people starting off on Linux. It is based on Ubuntu and works pretty well, relatively easy to use, and has tons of features and preinstalled programs. Both Ubuntu an LM have a lot of community support. So if I were you, I'd choose a more popular distro since it easier to get help if you need it.

If you don't want to give up your Windows just yet (assuming you're using Windows), you can install Linux in a virtual machine using VirtualBox or VMware Player. This allows you to install Linux and use it, but still have your main OS untouched. If you want to go full on with Linux, you can completely remove your Windows install and replace it with Linux. You can also try dual booting, where you have both Windows and Linux installed on the same PC, but in my experience, this doesn't always work too well if you have Windows 10.

Download and install Linux mint 64-bit you'll find that it's very much like Windows 10 in appearance and in placement it's no harder to learn than your cell phone your cell phone is Linux that's right friend your Android cell phone runs off of Ubuntu Linux that's the same Linux that's under the hood of Linux mint you already know how to use Linux you've been using it for years.