Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 4 weeks ago

should the power of love prevail above all else? even if it means death? Or are there more important things in life than love?

• Liz

(1 Corinthians 13:1-3) If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels but do not have love, I have become a clanging gong or a clashing cymbal. 2 And if I have the gift of prophecy and understand all the sacred secrets and all knowledge, and if I have all the faith so as to move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 And if I give all my belongings to feed others, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I do not benefit at all.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Source(s): jw.org
  • frau

Agape, philadelphia, storge, eros are the four basic types of love

Agape ( Love without hypocrisy) being the principle love and the most important. It discribes God because God IS love.Agapē has to do with the mind: it is not simply an emotion in our hearts; it is a principlewe live deliberately by it.

Philadelphia or philia is brotherly or affectionate love for family, close friends,

Storge refers to the natural affection that exists between members of the same family

Eros refers to romantic love, but interestingly it is not used by the inspired Bible writers. the ancient Greeks worshiped Eros as a god,

and history tells us that worship of sexual love only brought degradation, debauchery and dissolution. that may be the reason why the Bible writers made no use of the word.”

There is nothing wrong with romantic love but only agape will sustain a bond

So love in the right deliberate form concers all. The most important thing in life though, is for us to love God our creator. without him nothing would exist

please go to this fantastic website to find answers to life's biggest questions jw.org You will enjoy it .

• Mike W

I would say that truth is more important than love.  Without truth you can't have love.

To quote Dawes, “Love is not convenient.

It does not cease at your command.

You might take and leave it,

but love is all I am.

Love is all I am.”

• small

Love is one of the least important things.... had we been giving it the maximum importance in life, mankind would have only reproduced and been miserable having not progressed at all.

• j153e

If you don't exist on earth, you don't love (although your soul might).  Life is more important for the individual, as she who has Life, has the opportunity for Love.

If one is basing one's premise that love for one another is very important, well, Romeo and Juliet should have considered finding someone else when they were prevented from loving each other:  Romeo and Portia--the sequel; they live happily ever after, although Romeo had some trouble forsaking Juliet for Portia.  (Juliet married Hamlet, and they got along well.  As Juliet said, "Hamlet?  That old thing?") Shakespeare parodies this seriousness of affect in his "A Midsummer Night's Dream," in which an oxytocin-like substance of the flower love-in-idleness changes the love-focus of Lysander, et al. All's well that ends well, however.

Now if Juliet is tied to the trolley tracks, and Hamlet has to decide whether to divert the trolley to the track on which Romeo and Portia are blissfully standing, WWJD (What Sould Jeremy [Bentham] Do?"  He'd sacrifice Juliet, arguing social utility.  If Jeremy's mother had been tied to the trolley tracks, WWJD?  Bentham was arguably suffering from a high-functioning autistic spectrum disorder (aka Asperger's syndrome), so he might not have cared, and would simply do the math.  Others might argue that saving one's beloved relative is greater personal social utility.

Related:

For Couples Only;

Finding a Higher Love;

Love and Sexuality by Aivanhov;

Chicken Soup for the Romantic Soul.

Women don't believe in love. They love what you can do for them and thus are loyal to you.

• L'nya

Matt 22:37-39; Gal 5:22,23;1 Cor 13:13;John 15:13 jw.org

Procreation .

• Mike

self preservation.