Kay asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 3 weeks ago

Camera upgrade: which to get?

I was gifted a 2003 Canon 350D with some great lenses, but the battery life is terrible and the settings are challenging to adjust compared to newer dslr cameras. If I brought a newer canon could I use the lenses? Or would it be better to look at something completely different? Perhaps mirrorless cameras? For me it's just a hobby, so I'm looking for something lightweight/compact, easy to use and inexpensive. 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

I would suggest getting a mirrorless M50 or a M200 or if you want an excellent entry-level DSLR - the EOS 250D. And yes, you will be able to use all your old lenses without any difficulty.

• 3 weeks ago

Replacement batteries and battery grips are cheap.

Otherwise just get a compact quality digital pocket camera with zoom.

• Frank
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

All of Canon lenses that have either an EF or EF-S mount will work on any of Canon's APS-C format DSLRs.  The only thing to know is that while you can put full-frame (EF) and APS-C lenses (EF-S) onto APS-C format bodies, you can only use EF lenses on full-frame bodies.

So with this in mind, any of Canon's APS-C bodies will work regardless of which lens Canon lens mount your lenses use.  Which one will be good for your needs is a whole other question.  Since you don't mention a budget or any of your needs, it's not possible to make a recommendation.  But suffice it to say that even a low-end Canon T series will be a big improvement over your 350D which is the same as an XT in the U.S. market.

• 3 weeks ago

The battery life problem is easily solved --- 

never take any camera anywhere without at least three fully charged batteries. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I like the 350D - small, light and has that status screen (the small LCD for settings).

Get a Wasabi battery replacement. Make sure you get a higher mAh than the original. My 350D is fine with it but then again, I don't have the habit of looking at the pictures through the LCD now and then. That's the most power hungry part of the dSLR.

Your 350D is entry-level so an upgrade means going up to at least mid-level. Go for at least a 2-digit model like the 80D, 70D, etc. You will be ble to use all your lenses with it. If you go higher, 1-digit (and more expensive) the only real choice is the 7D, a high-end APS-C model. Higher-end models will make shooting easier and more fun whether or not you know what you're doing.

If all you want is a newer model then any 3 or 4-digit model (including all Rebels) will do. Your EF-S lenses will also work well with them and the learning curve won't be that high. It's almost like using the same old camera but just with more megapixels.

• 3 weeks ago

Canon has some issues between their EF-S and EF lenses and how they fit on different bodies. If you stick with an EF-S body like your 350D, you will have no issues at all with your lenses. Full frame Canon bodies cannot use EF-S lenses, so if your collection is all or mostly EF-S, you may wish to avoid a full frame model.

As for the challenge of adjusting your camera, that is a fault of all of the Rebel line, the current body in that line being the T7 and T7i. Great cameras in most respects, but still have that single control dial that requires you to be a contortionist to use it.

If you look up the line to the 60 or 70 or 77 or 80D bodies, you will find a camera that handles *much* better, but it is larger and heavier than the Rebel line. Of course the 7D Mk II would be the best choice in the EF-S line, but now you are talking more money for the privilege.

You can replace the body for a few hundred dollars buying used, and not have to worry about replacing all the lenses too. Remember that when you think about just switching brands... you have to replace the body and the lenses, and that can add up really fast.

You will have to spend more money to switch to mirrorless and replace the lens lineup you have now than just replacing your current body. Nothing wrong with mirrorless, but if you are challenged changing settings now, you will be even more challenged with most of the lower-cost mirrorless options.

• 3 weeks ago

The 'great' Canon lenses are from the "L" series. The EF-S lenses that fit your camera are more than good enough for hobbyist use. Just look at the link to see the compatabilities within the brand in the link below.

I think you need to work out whether you will bother to carry a camera that's like a little brick on a strap around your neck and different lenses as well as part of your lifestyle. It's all to easy to decide to leave it at home and just use your smartphone. Decent cameras aren't inexpensive unfortunately. Perhaps one of the newer ones with the 1" sensor will be better for you, but beware of the tiny little things that require a lot of menu diving, because while you're doing that the photo opportunity will have gone. A good compromise might be a Canon G*X series.Remember that all of these cameras use electronic display panels which eat battery power. So expect just over 200 shots per charge. Why not simply take an extra battery with you?  Your Canon DSLR should be able to take a LOT more than that anyway; so a new battery may solve one of your problems right away.https://www.canon.co.uk/lenses/tech-guide/compatib...

Compact Buying Guide here: 

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.