WolfRun asked in Social SciencePsychology · 3 weeks ago

How do you remain childfree forever?

I was working in a retail store, a man ranging from his fifties to his sixties, he was telling me that kids are a lot of work. I told him I don't intend to have kids. He was like why like a perpetually curious toddler that he is. I told him I'm not into kids. He rebuffed me telling me I'm young and I'll get married. I told him I'm not getting married, he told me that I won't be alone forever and I'll get married and have kids, telling me I'll change my mind someday when I "grow up". I'm only twenty seven years old and I never had kids. He told me I'll find the "right man" to raise a family. 

I don't think he realizes that times have changed and women don't have to raise a family these days because of overpopulation as well as having more choice on what to do with their lives. Not every woman is meant to be a mother.

I never wanted kids growing up. 

Plus the guy doesn't realize I have autism which hinder your ability to parent. (No offense to those on the spectrum who want to have kids.) 

I don't drive, I get grossed out easily, I avoid the baby section as much as I can. I don't like changing diapers, I don't like touching baby merchandise.

I had a rough childhood growing up due to autism. I don't social nuances, I'm on social security disability and I get paid on my part time job. I have sensory issues and I don't like kids

I like having my peace and quiet, kids are expensive to raise, and difficult too.

• Lila
    Favorite Answer

You don't have to have kids if you don't want to. The guy is being intrusive and doesn't know what he's talking about. He's probably stuck in the era of his childhood where most women married at age 20, stayed home and looked after kids. He has trouble adjusting to the modern times. 

I too find it annoying when strangers at work or wherever think they can tell you how to live your life or assume things about you that couldn't be further from the truth. You just have to be polite and take his comments with a grain of salt.

• Lili

Birth control, aka contraception. (They are the same thing.)  

That's the answer to your question.

Get an IUD. It's the most reliable form of birth control there is. If you are worried about hormones, get a hormone-free version, like Paragard. IT WORKS, and it is much safer now than the old Dalkon Shield ever was.

IUDs are being recommended to young women now, because they don't require you to remember to take a pill every day or visit a doctor every three months. Paragard works for a good 10 years. It was once the case that doctors though only women who'd already had children should use IUDs, but the view on that has changed.

Later, you can think about sterilization. Unfortunately, a lot of doctors have reluctant to perform it on young women, though the fact that more and more gynecologists are women is changing this, too.

So, then, don't have kids... i'm not sure why you were bothered by some old fart who has old fashioned ideas.

If someone asks,do not tell them.

It's simple.If they insist,tell them get lost.

I do not blame you for wanting peace.

You have a logical answer to the question of having or not having children.  I wouldn't give this person any credit, or any thought whatsoever, as he obviously has no head on his shoulders. In Life you are going to meet people like that, who want to give you their piece of advise. I never apply their logic to myself, because they have not walked a mile in my shoes, so how can they understand where am coming from? 

Stay a virgin..........

• Murzy

When you meet your soulmate, be sure to have this conversation from the start.

• Zirp

get sterilised.

then find yourself a boyfriend who doesn't need/want kids

• Zirp
      3 weeks agoReport

I mean one you make out with, and maybe ultimately shag with too

• Chanel

There is always a person who will say the wrong thing and it sounds like he meant that you will meet Mr Right and will change your mind.

But if you do not want children then you know whether or not you definitely do not want them and nobody can tell you otherwise.

Don't dwell on this one person. I work on a sunday at a charity and one customer said to me "it gets you out of the house and it is better than sitting at home doing nothing".

I didn't take any notice cos I love working at this charity and as for sitting at home doing nothing, that is up to the person to go out and join things or do charity work on a sunday. The rest of the week I never do nothing.

So why are you listening to this creep? Just walk away. This isn't part of your job.

• WolfRun
      3 weeks agoReport

Because I care what other people think. Plus I can be too sensitive for my own good.