Nasal flu vaccine: Are there any risks to a child from taking this?

I'll tell you why i am worried.

i have had three children.

The first two children, when i was pregnant i took no flu jab or anything and they came out fine.

WHen i was pregnant with My last son, everyone ine the media kept going on about the risks of the baby contracting flu in the womb.. so I took the jab.

He came out with an infection (they never figured out what that infection was) and we had to stay in the hospital for a week taking antibiotics before we were allowed to go home. He now has allergies including mild asthma - i cant say that the two things are definitely connected, but I do wonder.

i dont wanna do anything that will make his asthma worse... but i also dont want him to get the flu particularly as he has asthma.

Just dont know what to do

They can make you stay?  I don't my parents are doctors.

• Murzy

There are always risks but they are extremely small.

• Roddy

Only a doctor or pharmacist can really answer this one. Personally, I'd not want to deprive my youngest of the valuable protection against the flu, especially as he has ashma.

As another respondant has said, the nasal spray vaccine is a live culture whereas the injected one is not. They usually use the nasal spray on kids as it is less 'nasty' for them than having a needle in the arm. However, I'm sure your son would rather have an injection than catch the flu and have a very bad reaction, possibly with several injections needed.

• Chimera's Song
      3 weeks agoReport

yeah ... he wouldnt like to have several injections, sure, but i would rther he have several injections than catch flu.. some people say they caught the flu after having the flu jab... i am sure i have heard people say that

• Tavy

All British children have it every year including my Grandsons.

It's safe , I have never heard of flu  in the womb, that is ridiculous.

UK

• Chimera's Song
      3 weeks agoReport

well please read again ..i never said he had the flu in the womb- i said he had an infection .  he was unweill and was breathing more rapidly than normal so we had to stay so that he can finish the course of antibiotics . 

• k w

people who get vaccines for something , usually get the disease they are trying to avoid,

and last FLU I got, I used liquid clay...and I was all well in 4 days, true story, believe it, or not.....and we were made from the clay remember.....?

• k w
      4 weeks agoReport

Not surprised you're in denial, I was once......

The nasal flu vaccine is a live virus, not like the injection. Maybe a medical person will answer if a live virus carries more risk for asthma sufferers.

Personally, I don't get the flu vaccine, I feel why should I take the risk of weakening my immune system with the shot when Tamiflu is available if I do get the flu, but I'm a retired senior.