What am I suppose to do about my gay son?

Earlier this year, my son came out as gay. I’m not happy about it. So I’ve refused to invite him and his boyfriend to Christmas dinner this year. But now my daughter is angry at me and is threatening not to come either unless I invite them. What am I supposed to do? If I invite them, it will be very awkward and we’ll probably fight a lot. 

• HMFan

How about: stop seeing him as nothing but a sexual organ and see him as a person? So he's gay and you're not happy about it. It's YOUR unhappiness, not his gayness that's the issue. The foregone conclusion that "it will be very awkward" is simply indicative of your unwillingness to deal with facts and reality. If you EXPECT the situation to be awkward, chances are it will be. But instead of trying to create a self-fulfilling prophesy, how hard would it be for you to expect the BEST out of the situation? I'm sure that as a young person, you did a few things that did not sit well with your parents. But your parents bit their tongue and let you be you. It's time for you to step up, be the bigger person, and set a good example as a tolerant parent for your son, just like your parents did with you.

You'll probably fight a lot?  Said who?  You? Seems to me if a problem does arise it'll only be coming from you.  I hope you can see beyond your son's sexuality to the person he still is underneath and get past the barriers you've placed in front of yourself.

Just have Christmas dinner without them.

• Joe

You talk like you're 15. Go do your homework.

Jesus would invite him. (We are talking about a Christmas dinner - to celebrate the birth of Jesus after all.) Why don’t you check out pro lgbt christian faiths? See notalllikethat.org. The good Lord made him the way he did because that is how he wants him to be - he and his boyfriend are both fully loved children of God. 

• Oxinde3 weeks agoReport

Judee that is simply and interpretation of a single line from the entire freaking book

• Dr. D

A person's value to society is not measured by his sexual orientation. The founder of PayPal is gay. The CEO of Apple (Tim Cook) is gay. The chief executive officer of Lloyd's of London, oh, he's gay too. The vice-president of Google, a co-founder of Facebook, the founder of DreamWorks, yes, they are all gay. Without the contributions from gay people we'd be in a dull, and ugly world. 

• DeLayne
      3 weeks agoReport

When you refer to pedos, are you talking about Catholic priests???

I don't understand why you're not accepting. Surely a parent's love is unconditional. I know that even if I found out our son were a serial killer it would be really, really hard for me to report him to the police, though it would of course be my duty to do so. I think this is normal for a parent. Did something happen when he was younger which disturbed the health of your relationship? Is there something in your own past which has damaged you emotionally? I'm really struggling to understand your objection.

• Condesso3 weeks agoReport

If they are an effeminate pair, they would embarrass the family.  

Oh dear, not one of these posts again. Wipe your nose and move out of your basement.

Go ahead and downvote us with your multiple accounts. We know you're just a salty kid.

He is still the same son he has always been. His sexuality is not a choice and he did not become gay to spite you. Christmas is supposed to be a time of love and peace towards everyone. What better time to accept your son for who he is and welcome him and his partner to your home?

You do not have to put them in the same bed. If you would not allow your unmarried daughter to sleep with her boyfriend in your house, it is reasonable that you won't allow your son to sleep with his. 

• Oxinde3 weeks agoReport

Taylor being stupid is a choice, being gay is not

you should accept your son as who he is, and accept his happiness, what more happiness for a parent to have a happy son?, homosexuals have been unfairly persecuted throughout history and deserve a better treatment. Don't let bigotry overwhelm you. Sorry for my English.