Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 4 weeks ago

best route to becoming an airline pilot?

Im 34, have a 4 yr degree and zero hours of flying.

Go to a local flight school and push it or find a collegiate aviation program?

I'm a student at a Canadian college studying aviation. While I wouldn't recommend the specific college I attend, I would recommend going the collegiate route. I'm paying about $20 000 CAD a year for 3 years.

By the end I'll have a commercial license roughly 100 hours, a college diploma, IFR and night rating and a guarenteed job as an instructor at my college when I get out.

It's expensive but so is going to a private flight school. Only thing different with college is that there's a lot of hoops to jump through.

Any course I take thats directly related to aviation, I have to maintain a 70% average in. If i get below a 70% I fail the class and get kicked out. Before I write my PPL exam I have to pass a qualifier, If I fail either the qualifier or the real exam I get kicked out. Same thing for my CPL exam.

For you it sounds like time and money are the problems. We probably all wished we could start over and get our dream job but not many people get the opportunity. If this is something you really want to do then do it.

[edit]

The airforce might also be an option if you don't mind selling your rights and becoming a government slave for 10 years.

You have zero hours of flying and zero license.

You could start with a private pilot license, fixed wing aircraft, single engine.  Learn to fly.  Learn basic flying skills.  Learn basic aviation rules.  Learn basic aviation communication.  Learn basic aviation navigation.Then get a commercial license.  Work on an instrument rating.  Work on multi-engine rating.  Work on a jet rating.Your degree won't help with flying.  But it will help when you are a licensed commercial pilot looking for an ATP (air transport pilot) job.

You need to check out aviation schools.

I dont think you can start flying with an airliner.

It takes years to get that far.

Do some research.

How fast you go up the ladder depends on how much money you have to spend on training.

I never had commercial aspirations, so I did things slowly and progressively.

Many ATPs came from military backgrounds.

Source(s): Private pilot. Fixed wing. Multi-engine rating. Land and sea rating. Instrument rating.

go get law u can't manage those years in aviation

You can do it in 3-5 years for $50-80k at a local flight school

Go to law school and make more money.  Too late for you to become a pilot.

• JetDoc

Why waste time and money on a college aviation program when you already have a college degree? Find a flight school that take you from zero hours to commercial pilot for the least money.

Since you already hold a degree, a collegiate program won't allow you to access federal financial aid, so you're better off going to a non-college affiliated flight school. If you don't have access to $70,000-plus in savings or financing, I hope you've got a high paying job and low expenses to afford accelerated training, otherwise by the time you've accumulated all the training and enough work experience to apply, you'll be pushing the limits on age as far as getting into a major airline (as is you're already pushing the limit), Therefore, if you wouldn't be happy flying for a regional carrier for the rest of your life you might want to rethink this.  

• Reginald
      5 days agoReport

This is probably the best answer and regional carriers don't pay all that much.

That is go to cost a great deal of money.

• Jim

LOL, it will take you 15 years.

• Jim
      3 weeks agoReport

True. Who is going to hire him?